Internal Security Force
- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Command Structure
- 4 Branches
- 5 Ghost Regiments
- 6 Headquarters
- 7 ISF Uniforms and Insignia
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
The Internal Security Force (ISF) is the Draconis Combine's official spy agency and secret police force. Though it has existed since the Combine's founding, only recently has its internal organization come to light.  The organization is often regard as the reincarnation of demons by the other successor states but it follows only the tradition of its founder. The Draconis Combine was created sometimes with underhanded tactics like brute force, espionage and others too.  The members of the ISF believe that the Dragon will once rule over the entire humanity and every obstacle , even Coordinators, will put by side to reach that goal.  The enemies of the Dragon fear the effectiveness of the ISF. The agents of the agency are loyal to the death. They know the death will come some day and everyone is ready to sacrifice himself for the higher good of the Combine. 
Status in 3050
Until the arrival of the Clans, the agency had only one task: to break the alliance between House Steiner and House Davion by any means. Should that happen the next logical step was to destroy both realms.  With their invasion, the Clans became an enemy to all Inner Sphere powers. That changed the entire situation and a temporary cease fire with the other agencies took place. After the epic campaign on Tukayyid, the situation changed once more. Some members of the ISF tried to convince the new Coordinator to take the chance for another invasion into the Federated Commonwealth, but Theodore Kurita had other priorities. He had the intention to know the route of the invaders with the goal to devastate their homeworlds.  The Combine faced three equal, strong, new enemies: Clan Smoke Jaguar, Clan Nova Cat, and Clan Ghost Bear, which seemed to be unstoppable. ISF operatives gathered all available information and sent it back into the Combine. With that knowledge it bacame possible to beat Clan Smoke Jaguar at Wolcott.  The successful defense of Luthien against the Clans was another outstanding example; it showed the Leaders of the ISF and Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery that cooperation with former enemies could lead to unexpected results. The non-aggression pact (signed on Outreach) with House Steiner-Davion holds at the moment. But the assassination of the FedCom leader (Melissa Steiner-Davion) increased the alert level of the ISF once more. 
- Missions of the ISF
- Gather all available information about the Clans and understand how to counter them effectively 
- Capture Clan warriors to get information, with the use of brutal questioning techniques if needed 
- Supply resistance movements of clan held worlds, gather information about valuable targets, and seed chaos whenever possible among occupation forces 
- Maintain their established spy networks quietly, only with the permission of the coordinator are actions allowed 
- Examine all messages transmitted by ComStar for possible information about Clan activities 
The agency prepares itself for the renewal of hostilities with the Clans. For that operation several plans would be activated:
The roots of the agency could be tracked back to the early years of the reign of Shiro Kurita  He established an force with the goal to know what his enemies think and to have the capabilities to use operatives for tasked that the normal military couldn't reach. The organization was very effective. Shiro get informed about possible troop strength, weaknesses and so on. The success of the rapid expansion of his realm was the result of such operations.  After the creation of the Draconis Combine in 2330, Shiro expanded the organization into its shape of today. With the Conquest of the Rasalhague Republic the agency were put to test. The ISF informed the Coordinator for over 48 months with valuable information, but the ignorance of the operatives had catastrophic result. The agency get no notice about the anti combine movement on New Bergen when the insurgent capture a large supply depot. With the material the underground movement harass the occupiers for the next four years.  Another example was the failed attempt to kill member of the Kurita clan by Rasalhague rebel forces. The Coordiantor killed himself as a consequence in 2376. 
von Rohr's Dynasty
In the early 25th century the ISF regarded themselves as the keepers of their founder's heritage. The son of the new coordinator made plans to kill his father, finding him selfish and only concerned with himself. The ISF's leaders knew of the plot, but did nothing to stop it. That decision would haunt them in the future.  An illegitimate child of Nihongi Kurita conspired successful against the ruling coordinator Robert Kurita. The agency took no action to prevent the assassination. Nihongi started a war against the Lyran Commonwealth and captured vast territories in the Tamar Pact. But a purification took place within the ISF. All agents considered disloyal were executed.  The Terran Hegemony had created a new weapon which changed the modern warfare forever.  All other states in the Inner Sphere tried everything to get the new technology to but so far only the Lyran Commonwealth was able to get it during an successful raid at the Hesperus II facility.  The ISF, lacking the manpower after the cleaning, nevertheless tried to get the technology. The DEST were created at the same time under the authority of the Director of the ISF. The DEST raided the Lyran world Coventry in 2461 and captured the technology to build Mechs for the Draconis Combine.  The ISF took matter in its own hands, deciding the ongoing execution of its members was a step too far. Elements of the organization helped a relative of the surviving Kurita clan to overthrow the terror reign of the von Rohr. 
Star League Era
The ISF manipulate the events in the early 26th century once more. Coordinator Martin McAllister left no heir and the agency arranged the marriage of McAlister daughter with an Kurita of the original line.  With the birth of Hohiro Kurita his father died under mysterious circumstances (rumor suggest the involvement of the ISF).  Siriwan McAllister-Kurita build over the next 4 decades an power base for her son. When Hohiro get the new Coordinator he used other methods as its forefathers. He lead the Combine in the Star League. The ISF and all other parts of the Combine were convinced by the propaganda that the Kurita Clan will rule over the entire Inner Sphere as First Lord. The reign of Leonard Kurita is a dark spot in the Star League era. Because a guard of the First Lord was killed by the Kurita when he was drunk. Realizing what he had done Leonard get back to Luthien were he tried to prepare the Combine for the coming war with the Star League. The ISF know that the Dragon cold not survive such an conflict and removed the Coordinator through their own method effectively.  The new Coordinator increased the budget and power of the ISF for on goal. To rebuild the society of the combine from its foundation along historical Japanese feudal structures. All aspects which was regarded as anti combine were removed in light of cultural conformity. That terror reign remained even after the death of Urizen II.
Fall of the Star League
In the late 28th century the once peaceful Inner Sphere were at the brink of war. The DCMS was under the scrutiny of the ISF and the Coordinator wait for the right moment to get the SLDF off guard but Amaris was faster. The Combine operated with the Usurper because Amaris took Drago Kurita as hostage. The DCMS provide military aid, because the ISF supplied vital military information about the SLDF movements. The actions of the Kurita ruler were regards as treason on the Star League. The hostages were killed in the last steps of the liberation of Terra from the Amaris terror reign.  Kerensky gather his troops with the goal to leave the Inner Sphere because he foresaw the coming war between the Houselords about the shattered Star League. After the disappearance of the SLDF the era of the Succession Wars began.
The success of the early years of the 1st Succession Wars could explain by the fact that the ISF get notice of the weakened Davion border. The AFFS relocated massive troops strength to the Capellan border. The son of the Coordinator used the circumstances to concentrate a large portion of troops in the Galedon district.  The DCMS captured several planets during that time,´. But with the assassination of Minoru Kurita on Ketares IV the tide turned after the happening of the Kentares IV massacre by DCMS troops. The madness of the Kuritan ruler get to fare and when he received a toy solider with an SDLF uniform he lost is mind.  Yoguchi Kurita was the new ruler of the Combine and put the ISF under control of the DCMS. That decision cost his life. The ISF doesn't prevent the female Lyran assassin Snow Fire to kill Yoguchi in sleep.  The surviving siblings of Yoguchi fight against each other for the control of the Draconis Combine. That era is known as Shadow Wars 
Roweena Kurita used her influence at the ISF director Malcom Katsuyori to increase the power of the agency when they allowed the Inter Security Force entrance into her PRE (People's Reconstruction Effort). She used the PRE as cover to increase their influence within the society. When the hostilities ended and the coordinator start an investigation about the work of his sister an internal split happen. The leader of the monitoring tried to use the circumstances to purge the ISF from traitors. Several hundred agents lost their lives during the conflict. The PRE was erased but the supporter of Roweena Kurita could install a coup de etat a few decades later. The few surviving operatives spread rumors that the coordinator had treason ed the Combine to the Federated Suns. A fanatical soldier killed the Coordinator and himself by an bomb. A high commanding officer used is influence to capture Jon Kurita how were behind the false rumors and killed him. The new Coordinator was settle the distrust within the ISF with the signed of the Davarapala Accords in 2921. They include that the ISF are part of the High command and were once more independent.  This was signed between Coordinator Shinjiro Kurita and ISF Director Clarissa Indrahar and her Council of Five. A part of the events were the conflict with ComStar. When the sister of the Coordinator get a member of Comstar he ordered an ISF team to get her pack to Luthien. There she get a prisoner but the order convinced the Combine ruler by force to release Necess Kurita. The lose of honor make him weak in the eyes of the ISF. The agency took once again no matters to stop the removal of Hugai Kurita. The son of the of Hugai, Hohiro Kurita tried to break the influence of the ISF but failed. The ISF allowed a few years later the successful assassination by his own body guard, a member of the Otomo. 
Takashi and Theodore
Takashi Kurita used the agency as his tool to fortify his power base. The new director Subash Indrahar was a close friend to the coordinator. He was also the negotiator for the Concord of Keypten. The alliance was weakened by the fanatical hate for mercenaries of the coordinator. The rift expanded in the following two decades further. They were neutral and supported the efforts of Theodore to strength the Dragon. Operatives of the ISF played a vital part in the creation of the Ghost regiments and the agreement with ComStar to get the Rasalgian indecency in exchange for downgraded ComStar material.
The ISF changed their field of work with the arrival of the clans. They were informed of the attempt to invade Luthien by the Clans and prevent the ROM operatives during Operation Scorpion to seize the vital HPG's. The concentration of the Clan threat lead in combination of the reforms at many level lead to the growing of the Black Dragon Society. The members regard them self as the true elite of the combine.
After Theodore Kurita succeeded his father in 3054, he enacted a number of reforms that concerned very conservative elements of Draconis society. In an attempt to appease these factions, Theodore gave Japanese names to many organizations that never had them before, including the branches of the ISF. Prior to Coordinator Theodore, the ISF was sometimes known as metsuke, or All-Seeing Eyes. This name was later assigned to one specific ISF branch.
The first overt move of this group was an assault on Towne, a Federated Suns planet. The ISF then purged the DCMS, believing they had put an end to the Society. Instead, they tried to get back their lost honor with the failed assassination attempt on the Coordinator during a parade at Luthien. This time the involvement of the high ranking DEST member was critical, because the agents used the machines of mercenaries for the task. The following purge of the ranks was brutal.
The Dragons used their resources to hire mercenaries for a covert assault of Lyons, the attack on Robinson during the FedCom Civl War, and also the failed invasion attempt of Alshain which was followed by the Dominion War as a result. The agency was in bad shape, due to restricted resources and low manpower. 
Subhash Indrahar was the Director of the ISF for several decades during the time of Takashi Kurita. He is eventually succeeded by his adopted son, Ninyu Kerai Indrahar. He would die in first year of the Jihad and would be succeeded by 3068 by Shakir Jerrar.
Serving in the ISF requires attending the Internal Security College.
Offical the Coordinator is the head of the ISF but in reality the Director of the agency is the second influential single person throughout the combine. Within the command structure are a five individuals how are the aid for the director. Each of the agents have the capabilities to lead the ISF for an interim term until a new Director are select by the Coordinator. . The common operative is unknown to the society of the Combine and also to the enemy. That circumstances lead to a better information base because no one knows if he speaks to an ISF operative. On clan held worlds the agents act on their own capabilities to disrupt the operation of the enemy. 
Keeping with the Combine's fascination with the number five, the Internal Security Force is divided into five branches. The sixth branch of the ISF is an unofficial group created by the ISF Director.
- Mononokete (Ghost Hands): Formerly known as the Covert Operations Division this is the "active intelligence" branch. Agents are trained over two years in a manner similar to DEST team members before they get active mission assignments.  They typically operate in smaller groups and in deep cover assignments. Their focus is directed at external threats, be it a sabotage mission, assassination, or monitoring foreign visitors as a liaison officer. These agents are not used to resolve internal matters.
- Mokonete (Guiding Hands): This is the branch most people think of when they think "ISF". Formerly known as the Internal Security Division, Mokonete agents are responsible for identifying foreign intelligence agents and eliminating them. Their other focus is finding and reeducating dissident citizens. 
- Koe No Ryu (Voice of the Dragon): Previously called the Propaganda Division. With an agent on the board of directors of every Combine media concern, the Voice of the Dragon is the most benign branch of the ISF. The agents of this branch limit their activities to reporting Inner Sphere and Combine events in a manner consistent with the wishes of the Kurita family. The branch have also the task to create resistance movements on occupied combine worlds. 
- Metsuke (All Seeing Eyes): Previously known as Intelligence Gathering and Analysis Division. The agents of this branch are the passive observers, infiltrators, and sleeper agents who see everything. They do not act themselves, but provide information to the analysis section, which may activate agents of other branches, or DEST commandos to eliminate a threat. The Metsuke owns a small fleet of jumpships with the best surveillance equipment available on board. That ships had the capabilities to gather information even from jump points. 
- Draconis Elite Strike Team: Though technically not a branch of the ISF, the DCMS MechWarriors assigned to this branch frequently provide the "muscle" needed to eliminate ISF-identified threats. Members of these teams are easily the equal of the LIC Loki teams or the DMI's Rabid Foxes. Before becoming a member of the DEST every apprentice must survive the initial test. Then after 48 months of training and indoctrination. The estimated numbers were during the 3050s between 5,000 to 6000.  They were not given a Japanese name because their branch has such a fearsome reputation across the Inner Sphere. Several of these operatives were seduced by the arguments of the kokuryu-kai, leading several of them to revolt against the Coordinator.
- Musukosan No Ryu (Sons of the Dragon): Not an official branch of the ISF, this group of agents was formed by Subhash Indrahar during his tenure as the head of the ISF. They were fanatically loyal to the Director, carrying out secret missions that no one knew about. At one point, Theodore Kurita was offered membership in the organization. Ninyu Kerai Indrahar, Subhash's adopted son and friend of Theodore Kurita, later controlled the group. In 3028, Jerry Akuma was under consideration for membership before his mishandling of Wolf's Dragoons compelled the Director to order his death.
The ISF has a complex relationship with the Combine's unofficial intelligence service, the Order of Five Pillars (O5P) headed by the Keeper of the House Honor. At times the two agencies respect and complement each other well, but at other times in the Combine's history the two agencies have engaged in a series of covert wars.
The creation of the Ghost units in the aftermath of the 4th Succession war give Theodore Kurita a new tool.  Because the members lacking the advanced training of the common agent their survival in the underworld give them equal skills. The Coordinator used the network of the yakuza to supply resistance movements on clan controlled worlds and they provide also an alternative information base when needed.  The yukuza developed unusual ways to fight its enemies. The 'Mech forces of the units are from former mercenary who disappeared without a trace suggest some rumors. The units are used in situations when regular forces would have trouble because of their honor bound actions. The yakuza had no such ethical restrictions and use every possibility to reach their goal. The potential of the Ghost Regiments is well known. The successful escape of the Dragon heir from Edo by the help of the yakuza is one impressive example. 
Among the many secret bases within the Draconis Combine two are regard as HQ to the organization. One on New Sarmakand and the other on Luthien. The complex on New Sarmakand can hold a maximum of 20,000 people and in an event of an attack with atomic, biological or chemical weapons the base could be sealed within 120 seconds.  The complex is defended by 6 mech companies. The only accesspoint to the HQ is by a system of shuttle cars which also connect the ISF college with a spaceport. The security measures are tight. On the ground the complex is surrounded with an chemical which destroys all material immediately. Should an aircraft enter air space within 200 km of the HQ the aircaft will be destroyed without warning.  Luthien houses also an HQ the near the Imperial City. The structure could withstand all possible attacks and is also heavily guarded. The Tactical Command Center on Pesht was built to mimic the SLDF Brian Cache but was soon abandoned by the military. The DEST acquired it for the training of new members.  The defenses of the Center are equal if the other bases. It has no direct road to it. A network of sensors and automated weapons it against all hostile forces. The center's air space is guarded by weapons platforms in low orbit above the Command Center.  The training for the candidates is brutal. Five trainees make up a team. When they graduate successfully they stay together. 
ISF Uniforms and Insignia
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 99, "The ISF is not included in any Ministry. Its doings are shrouded in such secrecy that it officially does not exist."
- A Guide to Covert Ops, p. 52 - "Internal Security Force"
- Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.48
- Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.49
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 50
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 51
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 52
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 53
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 80-81 "THE ISF SINCE THE SHADOW WAR" & "SHINJIRO AND THE ISF"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 49
- A Guide to Covert Ops, p. 49-51
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 146
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 76-77, Shakir Jerrar's profile - Includes replaced Ninyu Keari Indrahar in '68.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 18 Shakir Jerrar profile listing noted his succession.
- Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.55
- House Kurita: The Draconis Combine, p. 117
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 57
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 56
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 59
- Black Dragon
- Heir to the Dragon, p. ??
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 123 "Musukosan No Ryu"
- Heir to the Dragon, p. ??
- Heir to the Dragon, p. ??, Ninyu Kerai is the ISF officer assigned to the Legion of Vega when Theodore takes command.
- Black Dragon, p. ??
- Wolves on the Border, p.??
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 60
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 61