Nova (Black Hawk)
- Community Outreach - Pajama Boy Talks About Making Fan-Made MechAssault Game, Wolves
- MechWarrior 5 Mod Editor Has Been Released
- Community Outreach - CJF Dolgfer Roshak And Lego BattleTech
- Fan-Made MechAssault Game, Wolves, Releases Demo
- All I Want For Christmas Is My Whitworth In MechWarrior 5
- Read more →
- This article is about the Clan OmniMech. For other uses, see Nova (disambiguation).
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Star League XTA|
|Armor||Forge Type HH30|
|Engine||250 XL Model SF-2|
|Jump Jets||Clan Standard Type A2|
The Nova is a versatile medium OmniMech that is capable of acting as a workhorse design in most forces. In fact, the design is so well balanced that it inspired the creation of the Black Hawk-KU, an Inner Sphere design based on the Nova and named using the Inner Sphere code name for this 'Mech: Black Hawk. The Black Hawk's debut battle was the combined assault on Kindraa Smythe-Jewel on Foster in 2872 launched by the Hell's Horses, Clan Coyote and Kindraa Payne that saw the Smythe-Jewels wiped out as a faction.
However, the number of Novas has been diminishing. Only spare parts have been in production since 2921. Designed as an early OmniMech by Clan Hell's Horses, the Nova was produced at the famous Tokasha Mechworks beginning in 2870. At the time of its introduction, the Nova was designed for infantry support, and was the first OmniMech designed with hardpoints allowing Elementals to easily mount and dismount the chassis. However, after Tokasha was taken by Clan Ghost Bear during the Battle of Tokasha, production of the Nova ceased. Since 2921, every Clan has acquired Nova OmniMechs as isorla.
Weapons and Equipment
Equipped with a 250 XL Model SF-2 Fusion Engine, the Nova has a ground speed of 86.4 km/h that allows it to keep up with most heavy and assault 'Mechs while being outpaced by most lighter 'Mechs. However, the Nova remains very maneuverable through the use of five jump jets, allowing the Nova to jump up to 150 meters. The fourteen double heat sinks that the Nova mounts are barely sufficient to handle its heavy heat load of its variants. The Nova is also protected by ten tons of armor, providing the 'Mech with ninety-six percent of its maximum armor protection.
In its primary configuration the Nova is a devastating close combat 'Mech and battle armor killer that is capable of delivering a powerful barrage with its twelve ER Medium Lasers. To help it use these as effectively as possible, the Nova has added four more double heat sinks bringing the total up to eighteen. Even with the added double heat sinks, the Nova prime is capable of producing almost twice as much heat as it can dissipate.
- Alt. Config. A
- A long range sniper configuration, the Nova A has a pair of powerful Clan ER PPCs for long range combat. For protection at close range, the Nova A has a single Medium Pulse Laser and also mounts two Anti-Missile Systems for protection from missile fire. BV (1.0) = 2,298, BV (2.0) = 2,422
- Alt. Config. B
- Also designed around long range combat, the B configuration carries an Ultra Autocannon/5 which can fire twice as fast as a standard autocannon and a highly accurate Large Pulse Laser as its primary weapons. These are backed up for close combat by an ER Small Laser and, for soft targets, it has two Machine Guns. BV (1.0) = 1,501, BV (2.0) = 1,543
- Alt. Config. E
- The Nova E carries an ATM-12 launcher that can fire missiles for short, medium, and long ranges as its primary weapon. For added close range capability, the 'Mech has three ER Medium Lasers. This configuration was introduced by Clan Coyote. BV (1.0) = 2,315 (2,340), BV (2.0) = 2,078</ref>
- Alt. Config. S
- The S configuration is made for urban combat. The 'Mech has six highly accurate Medium Pulse Lasers. For use against soft targets, the Nova S has four Machine Guns. For added protection from missile attacks, the 'Mech has an Anti-Missile System. It also carries an Active Probe to detect any hidden enemy units. BV (1.0) = 2,063 BV (2.0) = 2,061, 2,056
- Alt. Config. U
- This unusual configuration appears to be used to support boarding actions against enemy spacecraft. Two torso mounted Liquid Storage tanks provide additional reaction mass for the jump jets. Eight machine guns can rapidly destroy enemy battle armor, while three Heavy Medium Lasers and three Micro Pulse Lasers scour the armor off of hardened targets. To keep track of enemy units, the U configuration carries a Light Active Probe, and a Clan ECM Suite interferes with enemy targeting systems. The right arm carries a Spot Welder presumably to seal hull breaches. Strangely, this configuration carries a Sword, marking the first time a Clan unit has carried a dedicated melee weapon. BV (2.0) = 1,413
- Alt. Config. Samson Furey
- Starting from the Alpha Configuration, the Configuration from Samson Furey (Clan Smoke Jaguar Abtakha fighting for Wolf's Dragoons in Delta Regiment) drops the pair of anti-missile systems in the shoulders with two additional heat sinks. It also drops the medium pulse laser for two standard extended-range lasers. 
- Diana Pryde of Clan Jade Falcon and the daughter of Aidan Pryde used a Nova during her successful Bloodname Trial.
- Phelan Wolf piloted a Nova during the second trial for his bloodname.
- Supernova - The Nova OmniMech appears to be an Omni-version of the Supernova Clan BattleMech. In turn, the Supernova was designed as an ammunition-independent version of the venerable Star League King Crab.
- Black Hawk-KU - Although lacking Endo Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor, Kuritan engineers were able to retro-engineer the Black Hawk-KU OmniMech based on the Nova.
- Penetrator - The Nova was the basis for the Penetrator Inner Sphere BattleMech. Though slower than the Nova, the Penetrator is a formidable machine featuring all energy weapons and jump jets.
- Black Hawk (Standard) - The Black Hawk (Standard) was developed as a standard BattleMech version of the Nova OmniMech.
Nova 'Mech Gallery
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 126-127, "Black Hawk OmniMech Profile"
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 62
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 24-25, "Black Hawk OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 22-23, "Black Hawk OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion, p. 36, "Black Hawk"
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental p.17
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 63
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 64
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 65
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 66
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 67
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 81
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 68
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 69
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 70
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 139
- Thus it shall stand (in: 25 Years of Art and Fiction, pp. 64)
- Falcon Rising, p. ??
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 190
- Technical Readout: 3058, p. 90
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 70
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries, pp. 34-35, "Black Hawk (Standard)"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Nova (Black Hawk) Entry.
- "Black Hawk" BattleCorps TRO Supplement
- BattleMech Manual
- Combat Operations
- Dark Age Turning Points: Liao
- Falcon Rising
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries
- Technical Readout: Clan Invasion