- This article is about the anti-spinward planet. For the coreward planet, see Camlann (DC).
Camlann nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||−153.871 : −233.875[e]|
|Recharge time||201 hours|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Camlann I
- 3.1 Planetary History
- 3.2 Political Affiliation
- 3.3 Planetary Rulers
- 3.4 Military Deployment
- 3.5 Geography
- 3.6 Local Fauna
- 3.7 Map Gallery
- 3.8 Nearby Systems
- 3.9 References
- 3.10 Bibliography
The Camlann system is located near the Nullarbor and Pec systems and consists of a class M0III primary orbited by at least one planet. During the thirty-first century a recharge station was in place at the system nadir jump point.
|Day length||36 hours|
|Atmospheric pressure||High (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||38°C (Arid)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3067|
|Ruler||Duke Valentino Korcinski (3025)|
Castellan Frederica Nix (for Duke Mikhail Korcinski) (3067)
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor Nging Sho Tang (3025))|
Originally a very arid world, Camlann has five continents, no moons and a 36-hour day. Camlann was one of many worlds to be colonized after the widespread adoption of the Laranth water-purification process in the 2630s, technology that made the terraforming of planetary ecologies easier by reducing or removing the requirement for the importing of massive quantities of pure water by iceship.
Like many worlds colonized in this era, Camlann was settled by a commercial venture with little or no backing from the parent government within which that venture operated; in the case of Camlann, that parent government was the Principality of Regulus. Many of these newly colonized worlds became increasingly resentful of their relationship with the parent government once the colony had become settled and profitable, and in movements echoing the drive for independence from the Terran Alliance that had occurred four centuries before, those colonies often rose up violently in an attempt to separate themselves from their parent government and become independent. Camlann was an important exception to that trend, however.
Camlann sought to gain its independence from Regulus via the legal courts; in a case that was brought in 2683, less than fifty years after Camlann had first been settled, Camlann successfully argued in Camlann vs. Free Worlds, H. G. Duke of Regulus et al. that it should be an independent and voting member of the Free Worlds League parliament, based upon its self-sufficiency. The nature of the case and the precedents used by Camlann set it apart from the violent wave of uprisings that had occurred on other worlds in the 2660s and 2670s, and the resulting decision was seen as a pragmatic solution in line with the spirit in which the League founded. Justice Nkwameh Mbili ruled accordingly, legislating that having demonstrated its planetary adulthood, Camlann had to be allowed to pursue its own goals. The Camlann vs. Free Worlds case was used as a precedent by numerous other worlds in a wave of cases that saw more than three dozen new provinces formed by the early 2730s, with each petitioning for the same status as Camlann once they had demonstrated their individual viability as independent states. After the ruling from Justice Mbili there was a flurry of investment in Camlann alongside considerable interstellar interest in the world.
Another result of the victory in the Camlann vs. Free Worlds case was the people of the planet adopting a me-against-them mentality. An example of this was the protestation against building an SLDF base on world due to concerns that to do so violated the sovereignty of Camlann. In the final years of the Star League, the resident garrison force, the 190th Jump Infantry Division, were called on at least once a year to stop riots from the restless population. This reinforced the hated of the SLDF by the people of Camlann.
Having gained its independence, Camlann developed a healthy economy - in part due to its location within the League, away from any major invasion routes - but otherwise did little to distinguish itself. One continent in the western hemisphere remained free of terraforming intentionally, and was designated a wildlife preserve, where native reptile life - including species as large as the dinosaurs of ancient Terra - roamed freely during the eighteen-hour nights. The settled regions of Camlann developed standard industries in areas such as farming, food processing and manufacturing, although the planet largely became known for its exports of high-tech communication devices, some of which were sufficiently sophisticated to be purchased by ComStar. The economy of Camlann did suffer with the fall of the Star League, with local industry dropping to a subsistence level with relatively limited exports, although the economy did recover to its Star League-era levels in the mid-thirty-first century.
In 3025 the MP for Camlann in the Free Worlds League Parliament was Dame Adrienne Gaynor, described as a mild-mannered bureaucrat with few political enemies within Parliament. Gaynor was also serving as Minister of Intelligence - a portfolio that included monitoring the activities of SAFE, the League's civilian intelligence service, although the sitting Captain-General could easily circumvent Gaynor's oversight by designating SAFE activities as vital to the security of the Free Worlds. Camlann was also notable for being governed by an oligarchy at the time, a system of government it shared with various other worlds including such provincial capitals as Andurien, Gibson and Orloff.
FedCom Civil War Era
In the sixty years prior to the Jihad Camlann's economy recovered, although the major export from the planet remained communications gear and associated components. The Word of Blake replaced ComStar as the largest single customer for comms equipment manufactured on Camlann, and in the 3060s the Blakists exerted pressure on the federal government to allow them control over the communications industry on Camlann to "ensure its purity", but this pressure was resisted by both the local authorities and the federal government on Atreus.
In 3067 the hereditary ruler of Camlann was Duke Mikhail Korcinski, who inherited the title of Duke at the age of six, but his castellan, Frederica Nix, was actually ruling as regent. Four of the five continents were host to a substantial human population - the four continents being Badon, Cameliard, Dolorous Garde and Sauvage - while the island-continent Joyous Garde remained an un-terraformed wildlife preserve on which the larger native life forms like the Mordred Lizard continued to roam freely. Badon and Sauvage were still largely agricultural in nature, producing cereals and fruit in large quantities, while Cameliard and Dolorous Garde were home to the greater part of the industry found on the planet. Outside of Joyous Garde the native reptiles and other native fauna had been pushed back from human habitats, with the exception of a creature known as the Chalice Hunter, a rat-like critter that continued to present a problem in many regions and ensured the continued survival of numerous pest-control companies. Larger lizards could still be found outside of Joyous Garde, but they were rare and those interested in them had to travel long distances to see them.
Following the Free Worlds League's dissolution in 3079 Camlann became an independent world. This state of affairs ended in 3101 when, following Camlann's refusal to join the Regulan Fiefs, the Nineteenth Regulan Hussars occupied the planet. Camlann remained under Regulan occupation for over four decades, with the Nineteenth keeping the citizenry subdued and hunting down pro-independence resistance fighters, until Regulus itself was defeated and forced to rejoin the Free Worlds League in 3148.
- 2271 - No record
- 2571 - No record
- 2596 - No record
- 2683 - Free Worlds League
- 2750 - Free Worlds League
- 2765 - Free Worlds League
- 2822 - Free Worlds League
- 2864 - Free Worlds League
- 3025 - Free Worlds League
- 3030 - Free Worlds League
- 3040 - Free Worlds League
- 3050 - Free Worlds League
- 3052 - Free Worlds League
- 3057 - Free Worlds League
- 3058 - Free Worlds League
- 3063 - Free Worlds League
- 3067 - Free Worlds League
- 3075 - Free Worlds League
- 3079 - Free Worlds League
- 3081 - Independent world
- 3085 - Independent world
- 3101 - Regulan Fiefs
- 3135 - Regulan Fiefs
- 3145 - Regulan Fiefs
- 3148 - Free Worlds League (from July)
- 3151 - Free Worlds League
- Duke Valentino Korcinski
- Castellan Frederica Nix (for Duke Mikhail Korcinski)
Camlann has five continents named Badon, Cameliard, Dolorous Garde, Joyous Garde and Sauvage.
|Closest 36 systems (33 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 162: "Camlann (FWL)"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 77: "Camlann Planet Profile"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 102: "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36: "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 63: "Camlann vs. Free Worlds"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 75
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 162: "Camlann vs. Free Worlds"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 131: "190th Jump Infantry Division"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 70: "Intelligence"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 74: "Oligarchy"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 111: "Nineteenth Regulan Hussars (The Jailers)"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 100: "Timeline of Events: 3146-3150" - Regulus surrenders to FWL
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13: "Free Worlds League before after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24: "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158: "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34: "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123: "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38: "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), foldout: "Free Worlds League - Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51: "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132: "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22: "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54: "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28: "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56: "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64: Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17: "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62: "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38: "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 254: "SLDF - Free Worlds League Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10: "Regimental Status"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 116: "Regulan Strategic Military Command"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 150: "Creatures"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Shattered Fortress