|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Alshain Class 101|
|Armor||New Samarkand Royal Ferro-Fibrous w/CASE|
|Engine||Hermes 270 XL|
|Communications System||Sipher Security Plus mk.II|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi SuperSentinel|
|Heat Sinks||11 Double heat sinks|
However, it was not actually a new design. Instead, it is based on the DCMS-MX90-D Daboku which was first deployed along the Combine border as early as 3038 in selected DCMS units and codenamed Mauler by Federated Commonwealth forces when first encountered. Because the Daboku turned out a design failure suffering from crippling construction flaws, Luthien Armor Works shelved the Daboku and later adopted the FedCom codename Mauler for its redesigned successor in order to avoid the stigma associated with the earlier shameful failure, effectively treating the Mauler as an entirely new, distinct 'Mech.
Thus, references to the Mauler pre-dating 3048 usually refer to the Daboku, an outwardly similar but technically substantially different predecessor design.
According to apocryphal information, the Daboku was in turn based on a Capellan Confederation prototype design called the LMN-1PT5 Linesman; one Linesman was sold to the Draconis Combine where the design later became known as Nainokami.
The Mauler is protected with eleven and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and has a maximum speed of 54 km/h. Built to engage targets at extremely long ranges, the 'Mech is armed almost solely with long range weaponry. While this left the Mauler vulnerable to rushing by 'Mechs armed with short range weaponry, a skilled MechWarrior can use the range advantage offered to minimize damage to the Mauler while simultaneously causing as much damage as possible to enemy combatants. The 'Mech is particularly unsuited to urban combat where its long range weaponry has substantial difficulty in targeting enemy units.
This BattleMech has a particularly convoluted history, owing to seemingly contradictory data from different sources. In initial reports (the Technical Readout: 3050), ComStar Adept Merle Jimmus suggested that the MAL-1R Mauler was a new design being tested for production by LAW as of 3052. However, a subsequent ComStar document (the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook) referred to Adept Jimmus' earlier report as "less than accurate", pointing out that while Adept Jimmus was technically correct that it was a new 'Mech or at least treated as such by Luthien Armor Works, the design was in truth long past its Daboku prototype stage.
Significant numbers of Dabokus had even been captured by the Federated Commonwealth during the War of 3039 already, who also referred to them as Maulers.
Weapons and Equipment
The Mauler is armed with four Imperator Smoothie-2 Autocannon/2s as its longest ranged primary weapons. Individually, the damage the AC/2s deal is insignificant, but together they can steadily whittle away armor at extreme range. The 'Mech also carries two Shigunga LRM-15 launchers, adding much needed punch to the extreme reach of its four autocannons. The 'Mech also carries two Victory Nickel Alloy ER Large Lasers for added long range punch.
While the Mauler is outfitted with CASE to protect its vulnerable ammunition bays, its heavily ballistic and missile based weapons complement forces reliance on secure supply lines to properly satiate its weaponry's voracious appetite for ammunition. With a maximum speed of 54 km/h, the Mauler is equipped to stay far back and support faster allies.
- This overhaul replaces the lasers with Snub-Nose PPCs. The autocannons were replaced with the same number of Light Autocannon/5s, along with enough ammo bins to take advantage of special munitions. It's also fitted with an additional double heat sink, giving this version of the Mauler adequate heat-dissipation capabilities. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,678
- The -2R variant of the Mauler uses relatively new weapons. The standard AC/2s are replaced with Ultra versions, doubling their potential damage. Paired ER Medium Lasers are fitted in arms formerly housing the ER Large Lasers. The missile launchers are reduced to smaller LRM-10s. A heavier standard fusion engine is utilized instead of the expensive XL. BV (2.0) = 1,586
- The -3R variant of the Mauler upgrades the design and addresses the concerns of pilots that used the -1R model. The four Autocannon/2s have been replaced with a pair of LB-X Autocannon/10s. The ER Large Lasers were removed from the design, but the MAL-3R retains the two LRM-15 launchers of its predecessor. Also incorporated in the design is a single Small Laser and a C3 Slave unit, the latter of which allows the -3R to use targeting data from units that are closer to the enemy and vice versa. It also has a ninety meter jump capability. BV (1.0) = 1,698 (C3: 202), BV (2.0) = 1,877
- The -C variant of the Mauler is a modification that was made to the -1R model to allow it to carry a C3 Slave unit into battle. This is achieved by removing one ton of autocannon ammunition. This small modification allows the Mauler to share targeting data with friendly units and makes the 'Mech a highly effective sniper. BV (1.0) = 1,133 (C3: 261), BV (2.0) = 1,473
- MAL-4X "Todesbote"
- A custom configuration used by a Lyran Commonwealth criminal, this Mauler variant (named "Todesbote" by the LCAF) replaces the standard weaponry of a Mauler with a single Hypervelocity AC/10 in each arm, while the missile racks were replaced by MML-7s. Each autocannon has two tons of ammo while the twin MML-7s use a single ton of ammunition. All ammunition bays are protected by CASE II, and the "Todesbote" is protected by twenty-seven tons of Hardened Armor. BV (2.0) = 1,904
Note: "Todesbote" (German: Harbinger of Death) also happens to be the name of the Awesome BattleMech in the German edition of BattleTech.
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- A Mauler variant from MechWarrior Online, the MAL-1P utilizes just about the same weapons, except this version carries a PPC in each arm. It retains both LRMs, downgrading these from the LRM-15s to LRM-10s, and keeps the MAL-1R's four Autocannon/2s. An extra-light 270 engine keeps it moving and eleven Double Heat Sinks keep the heat at bay.
- Another MWO variant, the -2P should be considered a prototype. Unlike the -1P or MX90, the -2P carries a pair of Lasers in each arm; it's rumored that more than two can affixed if need be. Its twin LRM-10s allow it to send missiles at a greater distance and two Ultra Autocannon/5s give it long to close range support. Both the LRMs and UAC/5s have two tons of ammunition a piece, and like the -1P and MX90, the 2P has Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment to help protect it from ammo explosions. Eleven Double Heat Sinks and a 270 Standard Engine round out the rest of it load out.
- The Mauler MAL-MX90 is MWO's version of the MAL-MX90-D, both carrying two LRM-10s, two Large Lasers and four Autocannon/2 and use a 270 Standard Engine, however, unlike the MAL-MX90-D, the MAL-MX90 is equipped with CASE which protects the MAL-MX90 from ammunition explosions. It also carries the same amount of Standard Heat Sinks, twelve in all round out the equipment.
- MechWarrior Online's version of the Mauler piloted by Zachary Miles Hawkins at the time of the Clan Invasion and BattleTech: The Animated Series, the Knockout upgrades the torso mounted missile racks from 15s to LRM-20s and inverts the usual Mauler energy and ballistic placements with an LB 10-X AC in each arm supported by ER Larger Laser in each side torso. Fitted with an 270 XL engine and twelve and half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor, Knockout's heavy weapons array comes at the cost of field endurance, mounting only ten double heat sinks, two tons of LB-X autocannon munitions and single ton of LRM missiles.
- A low-tech version of the Mauler for the arenas of the Solaris Games that is built completely from stock Succession Wars era technology. It mounts only standard heat sinks instead of double heat sinks, standard armor instead of ferro-fibrous armor, and no CASE. Most importantly, it has a standard engine instead of an XL engine. The increased mass of the engine neccessitates the downgrading of the lasers to Medium Lasers on both arms. To make good for the downgraded technology level, a twelfth standard heat sink was added as well as an additional ton of armor. The armor was also rearranged to provide even better protection to the front torso sections, at the cost of armor to the rear torso sections and arms. The MAL-1PT5 is identical to the Linesman in all but name. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = ??
- Tai-sa Eleanor Shimazu, commanding officer of Ninth Ghost Regiment was a Mauler during the battles of Hachiman in 3056.
- The DCMS-MX90-D Daboku, while not a proper variant of the Mauler, is noteworthy as its immediate predecessor. Although itself a highly unsuccessful design, the Daboku can be described as a prototype that was eventually refined into the Mauler design.
- The LMN-1PT5 Linesman, later also known as the Nainokami, was (apocryphally) in turn the direct predecessor of the Daboku. Despite different tech levels, different configurations and supposedly massive engineering differences, all three 'Mechs are outwardly similar to the point of being indistinguishable.
In German products the unit's proper name was translated to Schlagetot, which literally means Beat-to-Death. The model code was accordingly changed to SLT-1R.
Original Mauler from TRO:3050
MAL-1R Mauler from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Experimental MAL-4X Mauler "Todesbote" from XTRO:Most Wanted
MAL-1R Mauler in motion from CCG
Model of Mauler from MW4: Mercenaries
Model of Mauler from MWO
- MUL online Profile for MAL-1R Mauler - Includes Introduction Date, BV2, and Alpha Strike Data Card.
- Combat Operations, p. 125
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 103
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Inner Sphere, p. 257
- Record Sheets: 3050 (Inner Sphere) Unabridged, p. 259
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 150
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 223
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 6
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 19
- MUL Profile for the MUL-4X Mauler (Todesbote) - BV2, Intro Date, and Alpha Strike Card.
- MechWarrior Online "Resistance II" Sale Page
- MechWarrior Online "Resistance Heroes"
- Arena-Planet Solaris VII, "German language edition of the boxed set Record Sheets Booklet"
- Close Quarters p. 318
- 1st Somerset Strikers
- BattleTech Compendium: Rules of Warfare
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- MechWarrior Online "Resistance II" Sale Page
- MechWarrior Online "Resistance Heroes" Sale Page
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Solaris VII: The Game World
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade