|Manufacturer||Ceres Metals Industries|
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Communications System||CeresCom Model 21-Rs|
|Targeting Tracking System||C-Apple Churchill|
|Heat Sinks||16 single|
|Jump Jets||Anderson Propulsion 30|
The Vindicator is one of the most well-known Capellan Confederation BattleMechs. This workhorse of the CCAF was built in 2826 between the First and Second Succession War to maximize the effectiveness of the Confederation's surviving production capabilities and fulfill as many roles as possible. Designed by committee, the Vindicator's "jack-of-all-trades" nature means it does not excel in any one role but fulfills them all adequately. With almost all of its components produced on Capella, the Vindicator is also cheap, easy to mass produce, and quick to repair with a ready supply of spare parts.
The 'Mech has a top speed of only 64.8 km/h, which allows it to keep up with most heavy 'Mechs and some slower medium 'Mechs. Four jump jets give it a jumping capability of up to 120 meters that, while not up to par with the greater distances of 'Mechs like the Phoenix Hawk, allows the Vindicator the ability to outmaneuver most heavier 'Mechs, as well as making it easier to traverse rough terrain. It also carries more armor than the Phoenix Hawk with good overall coverage, particularly on its rear torso and legs, making it better protected than smaller 'Mechs. Armament for the 'Mech is adequate though its primary weapons are unsuited for point-blank ranges, while sixteen heat sinks help keep it cool.
Unfortunately, early models of the Vindicator suffered from a design flaw wherein the head-mounted laser created a bulge in the cockpit. More than making the space cramped for tall MechWarriors, it also interfered with the ejection propulsion system, resulting in the deaths of a number of MechWarriors when their ejection seats exploded during ejection. Engineers managed to redesign the cockpit layout prior to the War of 3039, eliminating the deadly intrusion and decreasing the chance of said unfortunate malfunction.
Due to its relatively lackluster design and the outrageous mark-ups on spare parts sold to out-of-state parties, the Vindicator has remained almost exclusive to the Capellan Confederation since its introduction. Even in the wake of the Fourth Succession War, with a good portion of their military complex and resources gone, the Capellan leadership continued funding production of this 'Mech and updated it with the rediscovery of lostech. Following the introduction of the Firestarter OmniMech and its spread by the Second Star League production of the Vindicator was curtailed, though the line would be partially revived with a couple of specialized variants in 3060.
Weapons and Equipment
The Vindicator carries as its primary weapon a Ceres Arms Smasher PPC in its right arm, giving the 'Mech a weapon capable of striking at long ranges and doing a respectable amount of damage. The weapon also features an innovative cooling jacket which possesses water intake ports around the muzzle, allowing the pilot to dip the PPC into a body of water and quickly cool it, with steam exiting via a nozzle at the opposite end. However this process leaves the Vindicator vulnerable as it must kneel motionless for ten seconds. As a secondary long-range weapon and giving the 'Mech indirect support capability is the Sian/Ceres Jaguar LRM-5, mounted on the 'Mech's left torso behind an armored door and supplied by one ton of ammunition. An extremely reliable system, the Jaguar can take quite a bit of abuse before it is shut down. Finally, for close range work, the Vindicator carries a head-mounted Ceres Arms medium laser and a Hessen IX Small Laser in its left arm. The Hessen laser was the result of the Confederation forcing Ceres to use at least one weapon system from another manufacturer as a way of "stimulating domestic trade." Engineers had considered giving the Vindicator two PPCs but such a setup would overburden its cooling system and leave it with no free hand to carry items.
- The 1AA version, also known as Avenging Angel, was designed in 2863 to give the 'Mech better maneuverability, making it more easily capable of competing with 'Mechs like the Phoenix Hawk. In order to do this, the armor protection was reduced from nine tons to four and a half tons. The engine was then upgraded to bring the maximum speed up to 86.4 km/h, and the Avenging Angel's jumping distance was increased by 30 meters with an additional jump jet. The weapons payload remains the same as the 1R version. Unfortunately speed is no substitute for armor on the modern battlefield and the variant proved to be a failure; a few 1AA variants were eventually "gifted" to the Free Rasalhague Republic. BV (1.0) = 835; BV (2.0) = 966
- A standardized modification of Michael Jones' St. Ives Blue adopted by the newly formed St. Ives Compact in 3031, the VND-1SIC downgrades the PPC to a Large Laser while upgrading the LRM rack to an LRM-10. BV (2.0) = 1,020
- Early versions of the Vindicator had a Ceres Arms Machine Gun in place of the Hessen IX small laser. However Ceres Metals was forced by the Confederation to put a non-Ceres weapon system on the 'Mech, and so chose the smallest one to replace. BV (2.0) = 1,008
- The 3L variant is a basic upgrade using recovered Star League technology introduced in 3051. The PPC was upgraded to a Ceres Arms Warrior ER PPC and the medium and small lasers have been removed in favor of a single Ceres Arms Model W Medium Pulse Laser. To handle the extra heat from the new ER PPC double heat sinks were added while CASE was installed to protect the LRM's ammunition. BV (1.0) = 1,069; BV (2.0) = 1,105
- VND-3Ld (Drone)
- A Capellan experimental unit in 3071 based on the VND-3L, the cockpit weight is increased to 5.5 tons to accommodate the robotic drone control and the jump jets and the CASE in its right torso are removed. The left torso LRM 5 is replaced with 2 ER medium lasers, and the right torso ammo bin is replaced with an additional double heat sink. These 'Mechs were operated by an AI controller known as The Broken. BV (1.0) = ??; BV (2.0) = ??
- Extending the 3L variant even more, this Jihad-era 3077 field refit drops all the existing weaponry and replaces them with a Snub-Nose PPC, MML-5, and ER medium laser. The ammunition is protected by CASE. BV (2.0) = 1,045
- The 4L Vindicator is a major upgrade to the design, part of Ceres Metals' efforts to revive the line in 3063. The engine has been replaced with a 225-rated extralight engine, granting the 'Mech a top speed of 86.4 km/h, and its jumping distance was increased to 150 meters with an additional jump jet. The 'Mech uses double heat sinks for its advanced weapons load, which includes an ER PPC and LRM-5 for striking power at long range and an ER medium laser and medium pulse laser for short range work. Finally, the 'Mech carries a Guardian ECM Suite and is protected with nine tons of Stealth Armor, making it harder to target at range. The 4L became a common design among Shadow Lances following their introduction. BV (1.0) = 1,177; BV (2.0) = 1,411
- The 5L variant is a more basic upgrade than the 4L and represents Ceres' attempt to produce a close-combat 'Mech superior to the FS9-0 Firestarter. Introduced in 3060 the 5L uses a standard engine, armor, and structure. The changes and advancements come in the weapons and a different system for augmenting its movement abilities, Triple Strength Myomer. The 'Mech's new weapons include an ER PPC, two ER medium lasers, two medium pulse lasers, a single Small Pulse Laser, and a small laser. This varied mix of energy weapons allows the MechWarrior piloting the 'Mech to balance their heat load to keep the Triple Strength Myomer working at its optimum efficiency. In so doing, the Vindicator can deal a fair amount of damage with its Sword. BV (1.0) = 1,104; BV (2.0) = 1,484
- This 3068 variant is simultaneously a cross between the 4L, 5L, and something completely new. Instead of the PPC, the 6L has a plasma rifle that is effective at medium range. Two ER medium lasers help and all three weapons are aided by a Targeting Computer salvaged from Federated Suns machines. A Guardian ECM suite is necessitated by the inclusion of stealth armor. Two Rocket Launcher 10s provide limited firepower, while a Sword is useful in melee combat and is made even more deadly by the Triple Strength Myomer. The salvaged nature of the 6L makes it incredibly rare with each one "handmade" and awarded to only the most heroic Vindicator pilots. BV (2.0) = 1,815
- This ilClan Era variant is essentially a -1R upgraded with 3151 technology. This Vindicator enhances the strengths of the 3025 original while minimizing its weaknesses. It shares a similar loadout with a single Clan ER PPC, LRM-5, small X-Pulse laser and medium ER laser each placed in a separate location. While sharing the same movement profile, it is far more durable with it's heavy ferro-fibrous armor and reinforced structure ensuring the precious PPC stays in the fight. BV (2.0) = 1,566 
- VND-1R St. Ives Blue
- The personal Vindicator of MechWarrior Michael Jones and his father before him, St. Ives Blue is easily recognizable for the large silver trumpet painted on its chest and its replacement of the PPC with a Large Laser and LRM-5 with an LRM-10 rack. After his unit seceded to the St. Ives Compact in the wake of the Fourth Succession War the newly formed St. Ives Military Command would ultimately use Jones' altered weapons array as the basis for the VND-1SIC variant.
- VND-3LD Vindicator Dao
- This custom-designed model is piloted by a Capellan bounty hunter. It has been rebuilt using Clan-technology heat sinks, Ferro-Fibrous Armor, and Endo Steel. A Clan ER PPC is the primary weapon, and the 'Mech also carries a BattleMech Taser to aid in capturing targets alive. A Supercharger and an Actuator Enhancement System add to the Vindicator's speed and accuracy. BV (2.0) = 1,814
From MechWarrior 5: Call to Arms Expansion Pack:
- Introduced in 3025, the 1P retains the left-torso LRM-5 and head-mounted medium laser, dropping the small laser and PPC for a large laser in the right arm and a medium hatchet in the left.
The Vindicator has the following Design Quirks:
- Snake - The Snake is a modified Vindicator designed specifically to counter battle armored troops. The Snake features an arm-mounted LB 10-X AC, and three Streak SRM-2s in the left torso.
- In German products, the unit's name was translated to Verteidiger. The model code was accordingly changed to VTD-1R.
- In French products, the unit's name was translated as Défenseur, which means defender. It was also known as Vengeur, for Avenger, in some of the earlier French BattleTech novels (namely the Warriors series).
- Plastic VND-1R is included in BattleTech Beginner Box, Second Edition
Original VND-1R Vindicator from TRO:3025
Vindicator from TRO:3050
VND-3L Vindicator from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Vindicator from RGilClan: vol. 25
VND-1R Vindicator from Classic BattleTech Universe
VND-3L Vindicator in motion from BTTCG
Model of Vindicator from MWO
Vindicator standee from BattleTech, Fourth Edition
Vindicator miniature from BattleTech Alpha Strike: Support Lance Pack
Vindicator miniature from BattleTech Beginner Box, Second Edition
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Technical Readout: Succession Wars, pp. 74–75: "VND-1R Vindicator"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Technical Readout: 3025, p. 52
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 131
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 130
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 50
- ↑ Classic BattleTech Introductory Record Sheets, p. 11
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 115
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 200
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 201
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 51
- ↑ Necromo Nightmare, p. 22
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 73
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 164
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 79
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 25
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 198
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Liao, p. 4
- ↑ MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Call to Arms
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 95: Design Quirk Table - Vindicator Entry.
- ↑ BattleMech Manual Errata (Version 6.01), p. 9
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 38–39
- BattleMech Manual
- Classic BattleTech Introductory Record Sheets
- Experimental Technical Readout: Liao
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Necromo Nightmare
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 25
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3055
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085