|X:Y Coordinates||191.317 : -389.55[e]|
The Hyades Cluster, based on the position of Flannagan's Nebulea, is a cluster of stars located to the rimward of Terra near the borders of the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation. It contains multiple habitable systems including Taurus, Samantha, Jamestown, and Ishtar. The planet Taurus is the capital of the Taurian Concordat.
The Hyades Cluster is a roughly spherical open cluster of three to four hundred separate stars that share a similar age and origin. From the perspective of Terra the cluster lies in the constellation Taurus, where its brightest stars form a "V" within the constellation. This traditionally forms the Head of the bull that gives the constellation and nation that was spawned within its nebula their names.
- 2317 - No record
- 2571 - Taurian Concordat
- 2596 - Taurian Concordat
- 2750 - Taurian Concordat
- 2764 - Taurian Concordat
- 2765 - Taurian Concordat
- 2767 - Taurian Concordat
- 2786 - Taurian Concordat
- 2822 - Taurian Concordat
- 2830 - Taurian Concordat
- 2864 - Taurian Concordat
- 3025 - Taurian Concordat
- 3030 - Taurian Concordat
- 3040 - Taurian Concordat
- 3050 - Taurian Concordat
- 3052 - Taurian Concordat
- 3057 - Taurian Concordat
- 3058 - Taurian Concordat
- 3059 - Taurian Concordat
- 3063 - Taurian Concordat
- 3067 - Taurian Concordat
- 3075 - Taurian Concordat
- 3079 - Taurian Concordat
- 3081 - Taurian Concordat
- 3085 - Taurian Concordat
- 3135 - Taurian Concordat
- 3145 - Taurian Concordat
The cluster was explored and settled by the Calderon Expedition in the early years of the 2250s. This expedition was funded and led by Samantha Calderon who spent her vast fortune buying ships and supplies in an attempt to flee the horrors of war that had engulfed the Inner Sphere. She led her 2,300 followers into the unexplored reaches of the Hyades Cluster in an attempt to go so far from the Inner Sphere and its conflicts that a civilization without war or conflict could be developed in peace.
When they reached and explored the cluster they found a plethora of rich worlds, hidden and protected by a dense gas and dust cloud. While penetrating this cloud an immense asteroid field was discovered, and the expedition lost some of their ships in this dangerous passage. This cloud of danger, named Flannagan's Nebulea, became the first and greatest line of defense for the colonists.
In 2253, the colonists made planetfall on Taurus, a resource-rich fertile world that would one day become the capital of the Taurian Concordat. In the following years more worlds within the protective embrace of the nebulae were explored and colonized until today more than three additional worlds have been settled and are productive and valuable members of the Concordat to this day.
The Hyades Cluster is the fortress bastion of the Taurian Concordat and, with the exception of the Reunification War, has never been conquered. The Reunification War campaign took four years and required troops from the Star League's I, II, III, IV, XI and Star Guard Corps. The VI Corps and Star Guard Corps provided the bulk of the forces used. This fighting was the last combat of the Reunification War.
During the Reunification War and Star League era, the Hyades Cluster was home to a number of drydocks and shipyards scattered throughout the various systems and operated by Concordat Aerospace Limited; one of these facilities, located in the Taurus system, was capable of manufacturing WarShips. At this point in time the population of the Hyades Cluster was estimated by the SLDF to be more than eight billion people, seven billion of which lived on the eight major inhabited worlds within the cluster, which were spread across just five systems. The remaining population lived on the innumerable moons and asteroids scattered around the cluster, intermixed with the hundreds of uninhabited planets and immense number of asteroids, comments and assorted trapped stellar objects. The Concordat also maintained at least one active battle station, named Outland Gamma, and attempts by the SLDF to construct their own stations and facilities within the cluster to support their invading forces were blocked by the Taurians, who used a combination of nuclear weapons and asteroids flung by mass drivers to destroy each before it could be completed.
Besides the resident militia and noble house forces the Taurian Concordat keeps regiments of front line units stationed to protect the planets of the cluster. Traditionally these are the Taurian Guards Corps as well as other front line units that are brought in to rest and refit in the relative safety of the cluster worlds.
In addition to line regiments, there's the Taurian Defense Force's Special Asteroid Support Force (SASF). The SASF is a specialized all-volunteer body of soldiers and naval personnel trained in zero-g tactics that man the defensive platforms located throughout the Flannagan's Nebulea asteroid belt.
|Closest 48 systems (47 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Jansen's Hold||13.4||New Ganymede||13.6||New Vallis||14.0||Landmark||16.4|
|New Vandenburg||38.9||Laconis||39.4||Atreus Prime||39.8||Rollis||41.3|
- The Periphery, p. 71
- Hyades Cluster on Wikipedia
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 18
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 121
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37
- Field Manual: SLDF: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 37
- Field Report 2765: CCAF, p. 23
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 96
- First Succession War, pp. 24–25
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54
- First Succession War, pp. 112–113
- Second Succession War, pp. 18–19
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60
- Second Succession War, pp. 78–79
- The Periphery, p. 151
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 127
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111: "Taurian Concordat and Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 23
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21:
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Inner Sphere, p. 103
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 10
- Era Report: 2750, p. 14
- Era Report: 2750, p. 22
- Era Report: 2750, p. 23
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 11: "Infrastructural Integrity"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 92: "Piercing the Hyades"
- Historical: Reunification War, pp. 92–93: "Breaching the Perimeter"
- The Periphery, p. 77
- The Periphery, p. 80
- The Periphery, p. 81: "BattleMech Regiment Deployment Table"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: CCAF
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- The Periphery
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Second Succession War