Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Helm nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||-133.614 : -58.208[e]|
|Recharge time||195 hours|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Helm IV
- 3 Nearby Systems
- 4 References
- 5 Bibliography
- 2271 - Stewart Confederation 
- 2293 - Free Worlds League 
- 2571 - Free Worlds League 
- 2596 - Free Worlds League 
- 2750 - Free Worlds League 
- 2765 - Free Worlds League 
- 2786 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3040 - Free Worlds League 
- 3050 - Free Worlds League 
- 3052 - Free Worlds League 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Free Worlds League 
- 3075 - Free Worlds League 
- 3079 - Free Worlds League 
- 3081 - Stewart Commonality 
- 3085 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth 
- 3130 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth 
- 3135 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth 
- 3145 - Wolf Empire 
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||30°C (Cold-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Ruler||Landholder Halina Elin|
One of five worlds to be a part of the Stewart Confederation in 2271, Helm was suffering alongside the other worlds following the withdrawal of Terran authority, and by 2288 the Stewart Confederation was barely able to organize itself to order basic replacement parts for factories. The rise to power of David Genovese in 2288 marked a significant improvement in productivity across the Confederation, with his five-year rule as dictator making the state work more efficiently. Genovese was overthrown when forces from the Free Worlds League led by Juliano Marik invaded in 2293, following Genovese's rebuffing offers to join the League. Helm and the other worlds of the Stewart Confederation were inducted into the League Parliament in 2295 when the Parliament declared the former Confederation to be a Province of the Free Worlds League.
First Succession War
At the dawn of the First Succession War, Minoru Kurita sent troops to raid Helm and commandeer the SLDF stockpile. Unable to find the materials left behind by the SLDF, Kurita flew into a rage and ordered his forces to punish the people of Helm. Nuclear weapons rained down on the world, killing over 80% of the population and leaving huge swathes of the planet radioactive deserts. A few AeroSpace Fighter bays located in some asteroids are the only remaining parts of the SLDF fleet base.
Fourth Succession War
The planet was best known for being the site of the discovery of the Helm Memory Core in 3028. Helm was granted to the Gray Death Legion as their landhold. Fearing he discovered the Star League cache, Preceptor Emilio Rachan of ComStar mounted a conspiration to destroy the Legion's reputation and the unit. Rogue elements from the Free Worlds League and ComStar attempted to manipulate the mercenaries into destroying the Memory Core, but were unsuccessful. Copies of the Helm Memory Core were taken to many universities across the Inner Sphere, triggering the technological renaissance of the mid-31st century.
Helm remains a largely agrarian world. Enough of the land has been decontaminated to grow food, and the events of 3028 returned the Yehudan Sea to its place on the surface. (The SLDF had locked the seawaters underground for some reason.)
Helm become a key battlefield during Operation HAMMERFALL, the Clan Wolf and Lyran Commonwealth forces invading the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth. In May of 3138, the Silver Hawk Irregulars after defending the world against the Wolf and Lyran forces, were finally defeated in the capital city, Helmsdown. Most of the Hawks attempt to surrender, but Wolf forces, lead by Alaric Wolf slaughtered them to a man. Helm's victory was one of the last battles of the war. Most of the planet survived the battle undamaged, but Helmsdown not: the Wolf clan forces bombarded and razed a portion of the capital.
Helm is a cold world on the outer edge of the habitable zone. More than half its surface is locked beneath glaciers kilometers deep. Vast stretches of what had once been ocean floor were dry and bare, with much of the world's water now locked in Helm's icecaps. Much of the land that remained is either mountainous or arid desert. Between the relentless, endless seas of ice to north and south, ice-capped mountains thousands of meters high girdled Helm at the equator.
The capital city of the planet is Helmsdown. Other notable locations include the ruins of the former capital city of Freeport, which was an SLDF logistical depot, and the SLDF weapons depot that it eventually became. This weapons depot was combined with a Castle Brian complex under Nagayan Mountain.
| Closest 44 systems (43 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 68 "Helm"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 11, "The Rule of 75"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 25, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere  Map"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Deployment Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 10, "A Fool And His Kingdom"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 59, "Parliamentary Membership"
- The last charge p. 135
- The last charge p. 115
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 17, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 171, "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130