- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
- This article is about the planetary system. For other uses, see Götterdämmerung (disambiguation).
Götterdämmerung nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||−179.596 : 465.608[e]|
The Götterdämmerung system (see Notes section regarding alternate spelling) was home to at least one habitable world, Götterdämmerung II, and as of June 3152 was located in the Periphery region known as The Barrens.
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Götterdämmerung II
- 5 Notes
- 6 Map Gallery
- 7 Nearby Systems
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- ca. 2334-2338 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2571 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2596 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2750 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2764 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2765 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2767 - Rim Worlds Republic
- 2822 - Independent world
- 2864 - Independent world
- 3025 - Morgraine's Valkyrate
- 3030 - Greater Valkyrate
- 3040 - Greater Valkyrate
- 3050 - Bandit Kingdoms
- 3052 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3054 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3057 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3059 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3063 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3067 - Clan Jade Falcon
- 3071 - Clan Ice Hellion (from October)
- 3072 - Clan Hell's Horses
- 3075 - Clan Hell's Horses
- 3079 - Clan Hell's Horses
- 3081 - Clan Hell's Horses
- 3085 - Clan Hell's Horses
- 3095 - Ragnarök Union
- 3135 - The Barrens
- 3145 - The Barrens
- 3151 - The Barrens
- 3152 - The Barrens
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|History and Culture|
|Population||ca. 1,000 (3025)|
|Government and Infrastructure|
|Political Leader||Dominatrix Maria Morgraine|
Götterdämmerung II, more commonly known simply as Götterdämmerung, is the second world in the Götterdämmerung system. Götterdämmerung is a cold world, covered in ice and snow. There was only a thin band of habitable area around the world's equator, but even here only the tough reindeer-like animals can survive and thrive.
Götterdämmerung was one of seven worlds settled by colonists from the Rim Worlds Republic between 2334 and 2338 as an attempt by Maxwell Rowe to create a buffer zone between the Republic, the Draconis Combine, and the Tamar Pact.
By the end of the Age of War, Götterdämmerung was a member of the Apollo Province of the Rim Worlds Republic. Civil war erupted in the Rim Worlds Republic in 2575, with the factions polarized around those loyal to First Consul Gregory Amaris and those loyal to the Rift Republican Army and the Rim Provisional Government.
The Star League eventually decided to intervene in the civil war in support of Gregory Amaris, and in 2579 assembled Task Force MAILED FIST to help secure Amaris' control over the Rim Worlds Republic. A multinational force headed by the Star League Defense Force, Task Force MAILED FIST was responsible for executing Operation MAILED FIST, the name given to the military intervention. The first wave of attacks focused on securing significant worlds near Apollo, until a destructive raid on Alarion by the Fourth Amaris Fusiliers in retaliation prompted the SLDF to alter its initial strategy for the campaign, the focus shifted to reducing Rim Worlds Army concentrations throughout the Republic and the capture of key worlds.
In late 2584, the SLDF changed tactics again; a number of major RWA units had been destroyed or captured, and the focus for the campaign shifted to capturing worlds of strategic importance, but the campaign was slowed by the greatly increased resistance offered by the RWA and local civilian populations, prompted by atrocities performed by the Draconis Auxiliary Corps when they captured Nightwish in mid-2584.
General Nathan Isaacson assigned the Second Marik Auxiliary Corps to the conquest of Götterdämmerung; three regiments from the Auxiliary Corps—the Second and Sixth Marik Militias and the First Brigade of the Fusiliers of Oriente—successfully conquered Götterdämmerung in late 2591 or 2592, and remained in place as the local garrison until they were redeployed for the conquest of Bensinger in 2594.
Amaris Civil War
Unbeknownst to the inhabitants, Götterdämmerung was an unwitting accomplice to both the Periphery Uprising and Operation APOTHEOSIS, Stefan Amaris' coup to assume control of the Terran Hegemony. Amaris deliberately aided and fueled the Periphery Uprising to draw the forces of the SLDF into the Periphery and away from the Hegemony, but he also needed to show that his own realm, the Rim Worlds Republic, was being beset with terrorist attacks and uprisings just like the Magistracy of Canopus, Outworlds Alliance, and Taurian Concordat, but in a fashion that indicated that Rim Worlds forces loyal to Terra and the First Lord were capable of handling. Doing so would highlight that the Rim Worlds Republic was at threat, that the Rim Worlds forces were loyal to the Star League and prevent the SLDF from either being too inquisitive or sending forces back into the Republic. To meet these various aims a Republican propaganda team headed up by Samir Njari created an elaborate deception: the Battle for Götterdämmerung.
Njari and his team created the Battle for Götterdämmerung from the ground up, faking video footage, documentation and images presenting the illusion that a force of twenty assorted infantry, armor and BattleMech regiments from the Rim Worlds Army had defeated a hostile BattleMech division in a massive battle on Götterdämmerung. The Republicans then leaked this information to the rest of the Inner Sphere in the spring of 2765, creating the desired impression and giving First Lord Richard Cameron II and his supporters proof of the prowess and loyalty of the Rim Worlds.
The extent of the deception perpetrated by Njari only began to come to light in 2769, when the SLDF arrived to conquer Götterdämmerung; reporters from the Lyran Commonwealth embedded within the SLDF forces to report on the war between the SLDF and the Republic took the opportunity to ask the local population of Götterdämmerung how the more recent battles compared to the Battle of Götterdämmerung, only to learn that the natives had no knowledge of any such battle having been fought on their world. The full truth of the deception would finally be revealed when elements of the RRA uncovered archives on Apollo after the SLDF occupation that highlighted the work of Njari and his team.
Third Succession War
Clan Jade Falcon conquered Götterdämmerung during the opening stages of Operation Revival, the Clan invasion of the Inner Sphere. Götterdämmerung was then invaded for a second time in October 3071, when forces from Clan Ice Hellion captured the world from the Falcons. The Ice Hellions were only able to hold Götterdämmerung for a few weeks, however; forces from Clan Hell's Horses assaulted Götterdämmerung in December, part of a series of strikes that shattered the Ice Hellion invasion force.
In 3084, Clan Hell's Horses withdrew from the system, leaving the inhabitants on their own. The world joined with Botany Bay and Last Chance to form the Ragnarök Union. The new nation formed close trade ties with Merchants from Clan Jade Falcon. Some of those trade agreements included the refurbishing of a series of fortresses and tunnels on Götterdämmerung.
Mishup Crater: a rock strewn crater and site of an important battle during Operation REVIVAL
- The system and the eponymous planet were presumably named after Götterdämmerung (German for "Twilight of the Gods" and the title of a piece from Richard Wagner's famous opera Der Ring des Nibelungen). However, many BattleTech sources and apparently all published maps featuring the system omit the umlaut from the ö and ä and spell it as "Gotterdammerung" instead, which is not an existing or meaningful word in German or any other language.
Although the misspelling apparently carried through for a succession of (canonical) maps, Götterdämmerung is at the same time spelled with correct umlauts in several canonical sources including Handbook: Major Periphery States (p. 50), Historical: Liberation of Terra I (throughout the text, including pp. 14, 69, 98, 110), and Historical: Liberation of Terra II (p. 22), although even these would still erroneously spell it "Gotterdammerung" on maps in the same publication.
For the purpose of the Sarna.net BattleTechWiki it is assumed that "Götterdämmerung" is the correct intended spelling even though it is common for the system to be misspelled without umlaut in canonical sources. (The same is arguably true for other things named Götterdämmerung in BattleTech.)
- According to the deployment tables on pp. 153–154 of Historical: Reunification War and the map on page 128, the 5th Amaris Legionnaires were deployed on Götterdämmerung from 2581 onward until their destruction. This contradicts the text on page 136, which has the 5th Amaris Legionnaires on Barcelona. The writer of Historical: Reunification War has indicated that Barcelona was the correct deployment for the 5th Amaris Legionnaires.
|Closest 24 systems (23 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Botany Bay||17.6||Erewhon||20.7||Last Chance||22.9||Lackhove||25.2|
- The Periphery, First Edition, p. 147: "Gotterdammerung"
- Tamar Rising, p. 72
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36
- The Periphery, 1st Edition, p. 18: "From Rim to Tamar"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18: "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War (2571)"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. xi: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 38
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 25
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47
- The Periphery, First Edition, pp. 156–157
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23
- Objective Raids, p. 31
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111: "Greater Valkyrate, Oberon Confederation & Elysian Fields"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 17: "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50: "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65
- Field Report: Clans, p. 27
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Interstellar Expeditions: Interstellar Players 3, p. 41: "The Ragnarök Union"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Shattered Fortress, pp. 102–103
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 130: "The Spark"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132: "Case Apollo"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 133: "Island Hopping (2582 - November 2590)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 134: "Arlina to Viborg (December 2584 - September 2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 139: "Bitter Harvests (2591-2596)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 153: "Rim Worlds Republic Front (2588-2596)"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 98: "The Rim Worlds Uprising"
- Interstellar Expeditions: Interstellar Players 3, p. 42
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 23: "Conquest of the Periphery"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Clans
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Interstellar Expeditions: Interstellar Players 3
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Objective Raids
- The Periphery
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Shattered Fortress
- Tamar Rising