|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||HildCo Type V|
|Communications System||Opus III Highbeam|
|Targeting Tracking System||MaLandry 34|
|Heat Sinks||15 single|
|Jump Jets||HildCo Model 12|
The Victor was built in 2508 under contract to the Terran Hegemony as a support 'Mech with jump capabilities. With the creation of the Star League, the Victor would go on to serve in the SLDF during the Reunification War, after which it was made available to the League's member states. Because it only ever served in line regiments, the Victor was never outfitted with the advanced technology reserved for Royal units, a fact which would increase its survivability in the years ahead.
Standing at 14 meters tall, the Victor approaches the concept of support in an unorthodox way for a 'Mech of its weight class. While only possessing a ground speed of 64.8 km/h, the Victor achieves a high degree of mobility instead through the use of four jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and twenty meters. A Victor can therefore "support" friendly units by jumping directly into the fray and bringing its deadly close range arsenal to bear, an ability which can surprise inexperienced MechWarriors and prove advantageous in mountainous terrain. One sacrifice made for this superb mobility is the 'Mech's relatively light armor of only eleven and a half tons, while the lack of proper anti-infantry capabilities is a minor problem.
An estimated one thousand Victors had been produced by the time the Star League fell. Many of these left with Aleksandr Kerensky during the Exodus, and when HildCo Interplanetary's three Victor factories were destroyed during the First Succession War, the 'Mech became a prized target with all sides scrambling to salvage serviceable units. Only Independence Weaponry retained the ability to build new Victors, and with their capture by the Federated Suns during the Second Succession War it became the AFFS' primary assault 'Mech and a favorite command model for battalion and regimental commanders. Though the Draconis Combine would eventually retake the company following the War of 3039, most Kurita samurai were too proud to adopt a 'Mech now associated with their enemy, while the Davions made do with purchasing new models from the rebuilt HildCo factory in the St. Ives Compact and funding the construction of Styk's Tao 'Mechworks.
By the time of the Clan Invasion new models of Victors were being produced which incorporated newly rediscovered lostech into their design. The formation of the Second Star League and destruction of Clan Smoke Jaguar would finally win the design acceptance by Combine warriors, while the conquest of Styk and St. Ives by the Capellan Confederation forced the Federated Commonwealth to contract General Motors to build more Victors. Though it had officially fallen out of favor, during the FedCom Civil War the Victor remained the favorite of Allied forces, with newer variants seeing use in the years afterwards.
Weapons and Equipment
The Victor's primary weapon is a Pontiac 100 Autocannon/20 in its right arm; though some models reported problems with the ammunition feed, this was not a common issue. The left arm contained the 'Mech's close-range backup of two Sorenstein V medium lasers with a Holly SRM-4 located in the left torso. The autocannon alone is capable of downing most light 'Mechs in a single shot and stripping off the armor of any location on most heavier 'Mechs, leaving its other weapons to take advantage of any weak points in the enemy's armor. These weapons were originally aimed by a Standus 20 Targeting and Tracking System, but its tendency to project "ghost" targets saw the Standus replaced with the MaLandry 34.
- An early variant of the Victor the 9A carries a Machine Gun and two Flamers. To add these three tons of armor was removed from the 'Mech. The additional weapons give the Victor very capable anti-infantry capabilities but with the thinner armor the Victor is more susceptible to being critically damaged by another 'Mech. BV (1.0) = 971, BV (2.0) = 1,236
- A modification of the 9A model, the 9A1 adds only two Machine Guns to the 'Mech for anti-infantry use. The 'Mech has ten tons of armor, making it better protected then the 9A Model and the two Machine Guns allow the 'Mech to have excellent anti-infantry combat capabilities. BV (1.0) = 1,110, BV (2.0) = 1,302
- VTR-9B (C)
- A Clan-tech retrofit of SLDF VTR-9B Victors intended for second-line and solahma troops, this variant swaps the large bore autocannon for a Gauss rifle, the SRM rack for an advanced Streak SRM-4 and standard medium lasers for paired ER medium lasers. Unlike the similarly armed 9D and 9K variants, lighter Clan weaponry allows this swap without the need to utilize an Endo Steel chassis and still leaves the refit two tons underweight. BV (2.0) = 1,925
- An upgrade using Star League technology, the 9D replaces the Autocannon/20 with a Gauss Rifle which can do serious damage at much greater ranges. The 'Mech also carries two Medium Pulse Lasers and an SRM-4 launcher for close combat. In order to make these changes possible, the 9D is built on an Endo Steel chassis. With the weight saved the 'Mech also carries an additional ton of armor. BV (1.0) = 1,634, BV (2.0) = 1,717
- Identical to the VTR-9D upgrade for all intents and purposes; only difference is that the components are sourced from different manufacturers.
- This Victor variant emerged during the Jihad. Equipped with five Improved Jump Jets, it can rapidly close with enemy forces to bring its Autocannon/20 into play. Six tons of ammunition allow the pilot to choose from many types of special ammunition. The only drawback to this model is that it only has a single medium laser for backup. BV (2.0) = 1,594
- A more recent variant of the Victor produced on New Valencia, the 10D is an excellent close combat 'Mech. The 10D variant mounts a powerful Ultra Autocannon/20 as its primary weapon. This is supported by two ER medium lasers and a Streak SRM-4 to finish off a damaged target. The 10D is also capable of jumping up to one hundred and twenty meters, making it an excellent urban combat machine. BV (1.0) = 1,723, BV (2.0) = 1,894
- The 10L is armed with a Gauss Rifle as its primary long ranged weapon. This is backed up by three ER medium lasers and a Streak SRM-6 launcher for close combat. The 'Mech carries an ECM Suite as part of its Stealth Armor system, which allows it to reduce its radar signature and makes the 'Mech harder to target, especially at long range, and also four jump jets that allow the 'Mech to seize the high ground, making this variant of the Victor an excellent sniper. BV (1.0) = 1,943, BV (2.0) = 2,320
- The 10S is armed with a mammoth Heavy Gauss Rifle, split between the right and center torsos, supported by a standard Gauss Rifle in the right arm, SRM-4 in the left torso and twin ER medium lasers in the left arm. Carrying the usual Victor weapons loadout in addition to the Heavy Gauss Rifle is made possible through the use of an Endo-Steel frame and fragile 320-rated Extralight engine. Lacking the jump jets for which most Victors are renowned, the -10S mounts an anti-missile system and is clad in thirteen tons of standard plating. The 10S carries three tons of Heavy Gauss reloads, two of standard Gauss rounds and a single ton of SRM and AMS ammo each., BV (2.0) = 2,034
- Production began on the 11D on New Valencia during the FedCom Civil War. Powered by a Light Engine, the 11D adds an additional ton and a half of armor over that on the 10D. Two ER Large Lasers provide long-range firepower and the Streak SRM-4 is retained. The autocannon is replaced with a rotary autocannon/5 and three tons of ammunition in a CASE-protected bin. A C3 Slave allows integration with a C3 unit. Fifteen double heat sinks are able to effectively manage the heat levels. BV (2.0) = 2,021
- A return to the classic formula, this Victor has a Gauss rifle in the right arm, two Medium Re-Engineered Lasers in the left arm, and an SRM-4 in the left torso. To improve survivability, this configuration uses a Light Engine and Heavy-Duty Gyro. The weapons are tied into an advanced Targeting Computer, and the right torso carries a CASE II system to protect against missile and Gauss Rifle explosions. BV 92.0) = 1,935
- A 3069 field refit, this version uses an then experimental C3 boosted slave to cut through the electronic interference common on Jihad battlefields. In addition it replaces the AC/20 with a Hyper-Velocity AC/10. A Streak SRM-4 and pair of medium lasers round out the armament. CASE systems protect the ammunition. BV (2.0) = 1,465
- VTR-9B Victor Kataga
- This custom Victor was used by SLDF Major General Carlos Kataga. It upgrades the engine to a 320 XL, and the Chasis to Endo Steel. This allowed for a 30% increase in overall armor, which was rebalanced towards the front. The AC/20 was upgraded to a Gauss Rifle and the two Medium Lasers and SRM 4 were replaced with Large Pulse Lasers, two Medium Lasers, and a Beagle Active Probe. The heat sinks were upgraded to double strength. BV (2.0) - 1,991
- VTR-9B Victor Li
- The custom Victor used by Tai-sho Li Dok To in the Fourth Succession War, this variant removed all the standard weapons and replaced them with a single LRM-15 mounted in the left torso and ten medium lasers carried in the 'Mech's right arm. Armor and movement profiles remained unchanged, but it carried a total of nineteen heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,625
- VTR-9B Victor Shoji
- Used by the 5th Benjamin Regulars commander on Royal during the War of Davion Succession, this Victor-9B variant removes the AC/20 and replaces it with an AC/10 and two more tons of ammo. The medium lasers have been removed and replaced with three Medium Pulse Lasers. The Victor variant is equipped with ten Double Heat sinks, and the remaining tonnage has been devoted to additional armor.
- VTR-9K2 Victor St. James
- After his son was killed in the Taurian Concordat invasion of the Federated Suns, Benedict St. James had his VTR-9K refitted with experimental weapons and equipment to allow him to take his revenge. Replacing the standard weapons with a Long Tom Cannon and two Medium X-Pulse Lasers, St. James' Victor can inflict massive amounts of damage on his prey. The 'Mech's jump jets had to be removed to make way for the weapons load, and technicians equipped it with a patchwork of ferro-fibrous and standard armor as another weight saving measure. A Supercharger mounted on the engine provides the Victor with unexpected bursts of speed. BV (2.0) = 2,006
From MechWarrior 5: Call to Arms Expansion Pack:
- Introduced as of 3027, this variant drops the VTR-9B's AC/20 and one medium laser for an AC/10 and larger SRM-6 rack while freeing up the weight to carry a massive assault claymore in its left arm.
From MechWarrior 5: Heroes of the Inner Sphere Expansion Pack:
- VTR-BSK Basilisk
- Piloted by Henrik Cole and his grandfather, who attempted to overthrow the then head of House Cole but failed and was forced to flee quickly. Basilisk was built upon an XL engine and is armed with two medium lasers in the left arm, three Streak SRM-2s in the left torso (with two tons of reloads), two LB 10-X AC-SLD (solid slugs) mounted in the right arm (with two tons of reloads), and a Guardian ECM mounted in the right torso. The 'Mech is equipped with three jump jets, one in each leg along with one in the center torso. Thirteen double heat sinks keep the 'Mech cold.
From MechWarrior Online:
- VTR-DS Dragon Slayer
- Ardan Sortek's personal 'Mech mounts a 330-rated XL engine, Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks to support a weapons array consisting of a Gauss Rifle and PPC in its right and left arms respectively and twin Medium Pulse Lasers in the right torso and SRM-6 in the left. While also appearing in the base game, the MechWarrior 5: Legend of the Kestrel Lancers DLC would also see Sortek pilot this variant against the player.
The Victor has the following Design Quirk:
- Lu Wei Bing - A 32nd-century 85-ton 'Mech, created as a replacement for the Victor after Shengli Arms lost their assault 'Mech factories during the Victoria War.
- Templar - Prior to the FedCom Civil War, this OmniMech was designed as a replacement for the Victor in the AFFC.
- Templar III - When GM put the Victor back into production in the 3080s, they redesigned it to share many components with the Templar III.
- Author Blaine Lee Pardoe stated in a blog entry that, according to his memory which he admitted could be wrong, the Victor was among the BattleMechs for which he wrote the original background as initially published in TRO:3025, after being given only its name, image, and game stats to work with for the TRO entry.
- An official errata ruling was issued for Historical Turning Points: New Dallas changing stats for the customized Rifleman II "Kataga" into a customized Victor, removing the customized Rifleman II from canon.
Original VTR-9B Victor from TRO:3025
VTR-9K Victor from TRO:3050
VTR-9K Victor from TRO:3050 Upgrade
St. James-variant VTR-9K2 Victor from XTRO:Pirates
Victor from RG:ilClan v18
VTR-9K Victor from CityTech
A Victor bearing the colors of the Vanguard Legion from FM:Mercenaries Rev.
A Clan Smoke Jaguar Victor on Eden
Model of Victor from MW4
Model of Victor from MWO
Victor miniature from CityTech, Second Edition
Victor miniature from BattleTech Alpha Strike: Assault Lance Pack
Victor miniature from BattleTech: Inner Sphere Urban Lance
- ↑ Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 19
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Technical Readout: Succession Wars, pp. 154–155: "VTR-9B Victor"
- ↑ Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- ↑ MUL online entry for the Victor
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Technical Readout: 3039, p. 159
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 104
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3025, p. 110
- ↑ Lethal Heritage, Ch. 37
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 90
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 174
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 175
- ↑ Record Sheets Volume Four: Assault 'Mechs
- ↑ The Battle for Twycross, p. 49
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 107
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3039, p. 177
- ↑ Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 136
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 162
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade Unabridged - Inner Sphere, p. 227 "VTR-10S Victor"
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 18, p. 32
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 209
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 108
- ↑ MUL Profile for the Victor VTR-Cr variant with Introduction year, BV2 and Alpha Strike Data Card.
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Official Errata
- ↑ Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries, p. 32
- ↑ MUL Profile for the Victor VTR-9B Li variant
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 128
- ↑ MUL Profile for the Victor VTR-9B Shoji variant
- ↑ Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, p. 7
- ↑ MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Call to Arms
- ↑ MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Heroes of the Inner Sphere
- ↑ MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, Legend of the Kestrel Lancers
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 95 - Design Quirk Table
- ↑ Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 161
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, Vol. 18, p. 13
- The Battle for Twycross
- BattleMech Manual
- The Dying Time (novel)
- Era Report: 2750
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates
- Heir to the Dragon (novel)
- The Inheritance of Duty (novel)
- Lethal Heritage (novel)
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- Objectives: Federated Suns
- Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 18
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Record Sheets Volume Four: Assault 'Mechs
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook)
- Assault BattleMechs
- Inner Sphere BattleMechs
- Standard BattleMechs
- Inner Sphere Standard BattleMechs
- 80 ton BattleMechs
- Boosted C3 Equipped BattleMechs
- Federated Suns BattleMechs
- Star League BattleMechs
- Terran Hegemony BattleMechs
- C3 Slave Equipped BattleMechs
- Draconis Combine BattleMechs
- Capellan Confederation BattleMechs