5th Battle (Clan Jade Falcon)
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|5th Battle Cluster|
|Unit Profile (as of 3077)|
|Nickname||The Golden Talons|
|Parent Formation||Epsilon Galaxy (current) |
Gamma Galaxy (Former)
- 1 Unit Description
- 2 History
- 3 Unit Insignia
- 4 Officers
- 5 Tactics
- 6 Composition History
- 7 Organization Structure
- 8 Notes
- 9 Rules
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
Early Unit History
During the Golden Century, the 5th Battle was noted being the unit that finally captured battle armor technology from Clan Wolf in 2868. The unit part of series of Trials of Possession, which was considered to be long struggle to obtain new technology for the Clan. The unit's individual insignia was designed as remembrance of this achievement.
Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere
In 3049 the Clans begun their endeavor to return to the Inner Sphere. Assigned to the Delta Galaxy, the unit was deployed with rest Gyrfalcons as part of the Falcon's Invasion force. The unit itself would not be credited individually in partaking in many battles.
In first wave of the war, the 5th Battle was selected to take the Lyran world of Winfield in March of 3050. After landing on world, the Cluster's landing zone was nearly overwhelmed by planet's militia and Winfield's Regiment. A force of Elementals which would wreck havoc against the defender's battle lines allowing cause them withdraw from their encirclement of the landing zone. Ultimately the 'Mech regiment would withdraw, but leave behind its Militia counterparts to conduct a guerrilla campaign against them.
In May, 5th Battle would be regroup with rest of Delta Galaxy and invade Black Earth. In fast and furious campaign, the entire galaxy would hit the planet hard. Its defenders, the remains of the 17th Skye Rangers RCT and 1st Regiment of the Gravewalkers would put fierce struggle despite themselves being depleted from previous fighting on other worlds.
The 5th Battle would travel with rest of its Gyrfalcon Galaxy aid in the conquest of Antares. A site of a hidden SLDF supply depot, the Khans ordered the lost SLDF base be taken at all costs. After bloody campaign, the Khan would finally order air strikes against town situated above the city of Alba.
In September, the 5th Battle would move to aid in the conquest of Parakoila, where it would face the Parakoila 'Mech Battalion. The Galaxy would take six weeks of intense fighting in the mines to complete end conquest of the planet.
In the 5th Wave of the War, Cluster's parent galaxy would deploy it to world of Quarell in December 3051. The Cluster and other members of the galaxy would be filled rage in their defeat at hands of Steel Vipers took out their frustrations on the world's 'Mech Battalion, leaving only six survivors of the unit alive and made into bondsmen.
Post Tukayyid Conflict with the Vipers
After the Clans defeat on Tukayyid, in June 3052, tension build up between the Steel Vipers and the Falcons. The 5th Battle Cluster and the 2nd Falcon Jaegers were stationed on Goat Path when two Clusters of the Viper's Beta Galaxy invade the planet. The 5th Battle and the Jaegers would fight a tight battle against the 126th Striker Cluster and Viper Fusiliers, however Vipers would rally and succeed in pushing them and their Galaxy-mate off world.
The Cluster with the Jaegers would be reassigned to garrison Antares by 3053, where in September, the Steel Viper's First and 2nd Viper Guards launched invasion. The planet was targeted as part Clan Steel Viper's simultaneously two planet attack to seize Falcons' worlds. The battle took place in the Tranquility Mountains, where the two Viper Clusters (with aid of world's natives) eventually would herd the 5th and its sibkin unit into situation where they could not possibly succeed in overcoming them. The Viper's commander of the invasion force saw it was pointless to annihilate them, granted them leave to withdraw from planet unharmed.
The run up to the Refusal War and its Aftermath
In 3053, the 5th Battle was stationed on Hot Springs, as part Delta Galaxy's garrison duties. Its Galaxy had been severely damage in the fighting of the Invasion, having been reduced only two Clusters, consisting of itself and 2nd Falcon Jaegers. Khan Chritu order the transfer the 7th and 8th Talons so to free up the 5th Battle and the Jaegers so they could be able go on the offensive in his planned campaign against the Steel Vipers.
The planned offensive never accrued due to Clan Wolf, whom had declared a Trial of Refusal against Falcons due to out come of a criminal trial for former ilKhan Ulric Kerensky. Late known as the Refusal War, starting in September 3057, Falcon's Occupation Zone would become a massive battle field for the two Clans. Clan Wolf task forces penetrated into Falcon space, attack number of Falcon held worlds. It wasn't until near end of the conflict the 5th Battle was called into battle. It was received orders with the rest of Gamma Galaxy to fight Clan Wolf's forces on Wotan. In December the 5th Battle engaged Clan Wolf forces in planetary capital of Borealtown with rest of the Galaxy. The Cluster would be render inoperable from the fight with the Wolves, once it was reformed it would be transferred to Epsilon Galaxy.
The Coventry Campaign
In late January 3058, Khan Marthe Pryde would assemble an task force consisting of unblooded and inexperienced Warriors to push into the Lyran Alliance to attack the world of Coventry. The 5th Battle Cluster, losing so many of its warriors during the Refusal War, would be assigned to expedition. The Cluster would be part of one of four groups of Jumpships fleets travelling through the Alliance, whom would attack various worlds on the way. In February, the Cluster would get taste of battle, soon after arriving in the Neerabup, they would attack the planet to test the steel of the region defense force was based on the planet. The Neerabup PMM would take position in their compound where they choose to fight the Trial. Surprised and supremely arrogant, the Cluster would move take compound. The Militia put out a tremendous fight, forcing some of the members of Cluster withdraw. In end of the battle, the Militia was defeated but their strength character impressed them to take many of Militia's warriors as bondsmen.
The Cluster would arrive with rest of the Falcon expedition over Coventry in March of 3058, they would begin their assault of the planet. The 5th Battle due to its still lacking in strength would take assigned in defensive role during the conflict. Among its noted fights it engaged in, include when its elements were attacked by Lyran guerrilla forces while they were guarding one their supply depots in early April. The guerrillas force consisting of company from the 10th Skye Rangers' 1st Battalion, would lure some its 'Mech elements away from the base while its comrades would smash the remaining guarding forces at the base. The 5th Battle's frontline and 2nd line 'mech units would be fooled by false sensors readings, only be blind sided by Lyran ambush. Instead of pursing the Lyrans into the Cross-Divide Mountains, the remaining components of the Cluster would be called else where. Inner Sphere reinforcements would finally arrive on planet to contest its Clan's hold of the planet. The Cluster would be called eventually to help protect the city of Port St. Williams from newly arrive Coventry Expeditionary Force. Its Aerospace Fighters would join other Clan Aerospace forces trying to foil the CEF's air strike against their forces. By May, additional Inner Sphere reinforcements would arrive to aid their Inner Sphere comrades on the ground. Reinforcements lead by First Prince Victor Steiner-Davion, would offer Khan Pryde hegira, allowing Cluster and rest withdraw Lyran space intact and with its honor.
In late 3058 the Fifth Battle Cluster engaged elements of the Wolves' Seventh Battle Cluster on Tomans. During the fighting, they also faced an Inner Sphere mercenary unit and destroyed what was apparently a Wolf Clan iron womb facility.
The Falcon Incursion
In May 3064, Khan Pryde would launch another expedition into Lyran Alliance, blood more troops and expand the Falcon's Occupation Zone. During the conflict, the 5th Battle Cluster was stationed on Hot Springs, the unit would see action in the in form of counterattack by Lyran forces lead by General Adam Steiner in November. Facing with superior numbers, Star Colonel Diane Anu conduct unClan like guerrilla campaign to forestall the Lyran forces. The 5th Battle's hit-in-run tied Lyran invaders for 22 days, until Lyran forces withdrew from the planet to aide other forces of the expedition.
After fighting ended, the Khan the ordered Galaxy Commanders to retake worlds lost during the Incursion. The Cluster would be selected to retake worlds taken by the Lyrans during the Incursion. With the few Trinaries from the 18th Falcon Regulars, the Cluster would invasion of Butler. Occupied by Lyrans conventional forces and elements of the Blue Star Irregulars, Star Colonel Anu decide use few Trinaries of the Cluster with the Regulars to deal Lyran conventional forces and Irregular's Mech assets on planet in June 3065. After retaking the planet, the Cluster's commander would receive a mixed reaction for her tactics she used to hold Hot Springs from Lyrans.
For its actions during the Hellion Invasion, the unit and its parent galaxy was promoted to frontline status by 3077. Which allow for the Cluster and its Galaxy-mates to rebuild quickly among the Clan's badly damaged touman.
The Fifth Battle Cluster saw action during the Battle of Coventry in February 3148 and sustained at least some damage. In March they arrived on Pobeda to reinforce the Jade Falcon defenders battling Clan Wolf-in-Exile invaders.
Unit's insignia is golden talons gripping a dead wolf, behind image is a Black shield with golden roman numerical for 5 on it.
|Commanding Officers of the 5th Battle Cluster|
|Star Colonel||Diane Anu||3050 - 3067|
After the Refusal War, the unit became more specialized in handling combat in Urban settings. Also, the conflict became more adept in the defensive garrison role due its reduced strength.
- Command Star (BattleMech Star)- Star Colonel Diane Anu
- Trinary Alpha (BattleMech Trinary) - CO: Star Captain Nedra
- Trinary Bravo (2 Novas and a single Strider/battle armor Star) - CO: Star Captain Hogan Thastus
- Trinary Charlie (2 Novas and a single Strider/battle armor Star) - CO: Star Captain Elizabeth Thastus
- Trinary Delta (2 Novas and a single Strider/battle armor Star) - CO: Star Captain Jeanna Osborne
- Trinary Echo (Aerospace Fighter Trinary) - CO: Star Captain Richard Von Jankmon
- 5th Battle Cluster - CO: Star Colonel Diane Anu
Note: Unit stationed on Hot Springs as of 3054 as part its garrison duty. It is one of Delta Galaxy two remaining Clusters.
- 5th Battle Cluster (5 Binaries) - CO: Star Colonel Diane Anu
- 5th Battle Cluster - CO: Star Colonel Diane Anu
- 5th Battle Cluster - CO: Star Colonel Lucille Buhallin
- 5th Battle Cluster - CO: Star Colonel Rose Faulk
Using the rules found in the Field Manual: Crusading Clans, the 5th Battle Cluster has access to couple Force Specific Abilities should players decide to use advance rules in a scenario. If Galaxy Commander Rard Hoyt is in command of Epsilon Galaxy and the Cluster is attached to his force, the 5th Battle Cluster gains a +2 initiative. This only remains in effect as long he is active with the unit and as long as no allied troops outside of the Galaxy are not intermixed with the unit during the scenario. However, if any outside troops should be attached to the unit during battle, they suffer a -1 to their initiative while Hoyt is in command. On its own, the 5th Battle gains a +1 initiative when ever it faces a force ffiliated with Clan Wolf, this is a reflection the event of near destruction at their hands during the Refusal War. After its experience on Wotan, the unit developed in become defensive unit and gains +1 when fighting in urban setting or as the defender. This bonus adds to existing one should the unit be fighting Clan Wolf related forces.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 91, 105, "Unit early history, include date and origin of its original insignia".
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 37, "5th Battle Cluster actions on Winfield. Evak Mattlov, 4th Velites's commanding officer mistakenly listed as 5th Battle's commander".
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 38, "Gyrfalcons, 5th fight along side entire Galaxy to take New Earth".
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 40, "Antares" - 5th Battle's entire galaxy mustered in effort to take hidden SLDF supply depot.
- Double Down
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 42, "Parakoila" - Battle in the mines of the Forty-Niner Mine prove to be longest in the Operation Revival.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 43, "Quarell" - Cluster's parent galaxy took their frustration from their defeat by Steel Vipers on Lyran Militia unit.
- Invading Clans, pp. 89, 90-91, "Clan Steel Viper's attacks against the 5th Cluster just after the events of the Battle of Tukayyid".
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 33, "Steel Viper conflict mentioned".
- Objective Raids, p. 53 - 5th Battle listed as stationed on Hot Springs.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 101 Gamma Galaxy - 5th Battle situation prior to the Refusal War.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 105 Epsilon Galaxy / 5th Battle Cluster - The Cluster's fluff includes after math of the Refusal war and its transfer to Epsilon Galaxy.
- The Falcon and the Wolf, pp. 31-32 Situation: Borealtown, Wotan - The 5th Battle Cluster's parent galaxy fights Battle against Clan Wolf's Tau Galaxy during the Refusal War.
- Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion, pp. 8, 19 - Campaign history and Touchpoint: Neerabup highlight the Cluster's fight with the Militia unit in February 3058.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 117 Regional Militias/Neerabup MTM - Neerabup MTM's history notes the all its survivors of the Militia force was held by Clan Jade Falcon during their incursion of Alliance in '58.
- Battle of Coventry (scenario pack), pp. 8, 10, 12-13, 23 - Battle of Coventry with aspects of the 5th Battle Cluster role in the Battle/campaign. Including scenarios:Hide and Seek and Stormy Skies.
- Historical Turning Points: Falcon Incursion, pp. 8, 13, 19 - Falcon Incursion of 3058 history and notation's of the 5th Battle Clusters efforts during it.
- A Wolf in the Eyrie, p. 13
- A Wolf in the Eyrie, p. 20
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 110, 120, 118. 186 - 5th Battle Cluster's action during FedCom Civil War/Falcon Incursion.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 49 - Epsilon Galaxy - 5th Battle Cluster's Diane Anu would received good and bad reaction for her actions during the Incursion.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 129 - Diane Anu's profile notes her becoming Epsilon's new Galaxy Commander prior to Ice Hellion Invasion.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 28-29 - Epsilon Galaxy noted actions, would include the 5th Battle Cluster.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorp Dossiers, p. 136 - Epsilon Galaxy promotion to frontline status and its rebuilding.
- Shattered Fortress, p.51
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 105 5th Battle Cluster - Unit insigne described, but not shown.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 49 - Diana Anu noted as commanding officer of the Fifth Battle Cluster
- Objective Raids, p. 31 - Unit Listing unchanged from previous years.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, pp. 105,154 - unit status as of 3059.
- Field Manual:Updates, p. 72 - Epsilon Galaxy - The Cluster's strength and status as of 3085.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 178 Force Specific Rules/Epsilon Galaxy - 5th Battle's force specific rules show cases its new specialization in Urban Warfare and increase abilities in defensive actions.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook, p. 49 - Unit Listings - 5th Battle Cluster listing as of 3050 to '52. Unit listing shows it have even mix of 'Mechs, Infantry with single Trinary fighters
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 125, "Clan Jade Falcon Military Forces"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 168, "Clan Jade Falcon Military Forces"
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 166, "Flamberge" - 5th Battle listed as being a premier unit by 3085.
- Field Manual: Crusading Clans, p. 178, "Force Specific Rules/Epsilon Galaxy" - 5th Battle's force specific rules it gains if advanced scenario rules are used.
- A Wolf in the Eyrie
- Double Down
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans
- Field Manual: Updates
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Malicious Intent (Novel)
- Objective Raids
- Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion
- Shattered Fortress
- The Battle of Coventry (scenario pack)
- The Falcon and the Wolf