|X:Y Coordinates||50.695 : -124.723[e]|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Palos III
- 3 Map Gallery
- 4 Nearby Systems
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
- 2303 - Sarna Supremacy
- 2304 - Independent world
- 2305 - Sarna Supremacy
- 2366 - Sarna Supremacy
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation
- 2571 - Capellan Confederation
- 2596 - Capellan Confederation
- 2750 - Capellan Confederation
- 2764 - Capellan Confederation
- 2765 - Capellan Confederation
- 2786 - Capellan Confederation
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation
- 3029 - Federated Suns (from October)
- 3030 - Federated Suns
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3058 - Chaos March
- 3063 - Capellan Confederation
- 3067 - Capellan Confederation
- 3075 - Capellan Confederation
- 3079 - Capellan Confederation
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3135 - Capellan Confederation
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation
- 3151 - Capellan Confederation
|Moons||Five (Isla Palana, Menor, Pinatar, Reona, Ribera)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler||Pol Fert, Governor (3130)|
Lance Jorgens, Legate (3130)
Palos was settled in the early years of the twenty-third century and quickly became a significant source of ores and minerals. Amongst the more important minerals found on Palos were some rich gold deposits discovered in the Docarshon Valley, 200 km south of the planetary capital. The gold seams would last for the better part of three hundred years before being played out, but their presence reduced the region to an ugly scar through uncontrolled exploitation of the resources there.
From the very beginning the population of Palos was made up of independent-minded people who believed strongly in individual freedom and who opposed heavy taxes. Having been a member of the Sarna Supremacy for some years, in 2304 the inhabitants of Palos and the neighboring system of Wei rebelled against the heavy-handed taxation and economic exploitation of the Supremacy government and declared themselves to be independent worlds. The Supremacy immediately sealed its borders and began measures to recapture Palos, but within weeks the Capellan Hegemony had declared war on the Supremacy in support of the rebelling worlds. Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Palos, the Capellans were unable to prevent the Supremacy from reoccupying Palos in late 2305, and the Supremacy punished the inhabitants for their rebellion by executing one in three of the male population.
The inhabitants of Palos were fearless in protesting the occupation of the planet by the Federated Suns during the Fourth Succession War, and the population chafed quietly under the rule of the Federated Commonwealth, up until the collapse of the Sarna March in 3057 and the opportunity to rejoin the Capellan Confederation.
Fourth Succession War
Despite ComStar placing the Federated Suns under a communications interdiction after the invasion of Sarna in mid-3029, the Capellan Operations Command of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns received enough positive reports from the fifth wave of Operation RAT to launch the sixth wave in the second week of August 3029. The decision to launch wave six was in part driven by contact from planetary governments in the unconquered region of the Sarna Commonality, indicating that the perceived threat of being annexed by the Free Worlds League was prompting a groundswell of opinion among those governments that being absorbed by the Federated Suns was a preferable alternative to being conquered by House Marik. The countless raids and invasions by the Free Worlds League Military over the centuries had embedded an intense hatred of House Marik among the planetary populations within the region, and confidence in the Capellan Confederation's ability to defend them was falling.
Palos was one of the targets of the sixth wave of attacks; defended by the Second Confederation Reserve Cavalry and twenty assorted veteran infantry and tank regiments, Palos had a large population but meager resources. The AFFS assigned two regiments of the Twelfth Vegan Rangers to lead the attack—Gamma and Delta Regiments—supported by a dozen conventional regiments. The landing zones chosen by the Rangers were in the Docarshon Valley, a barren region some 200 km south of the planetary capital city, Xer, and were contested by the Capellan forces. Capellan aerospace fighters managed to breach the Rangers' fighter screen and severely damaged two Ranger DropShips, the Union-class Vegan Thunder and the Leopard-class Ranger's Creed. Although both DropShips were able to unload their 'Mechs, the Ranger's Creed was destroyed when it tumbled in the atmosphere and crashed on the surface of the planet.
Having been chastised by the Capellan Operations Command for abusive behavior towards the population of Wei, the Rangers attempted to be conciliatory towards the population of Palos; the population complained volubly about damage to crops, prompting the Rangers to attempt to restrict their movement to roads and to limit damage to croplands, up until the 9th of September, when an ambush by the Second CRC inflicted damage on the Rangers by taking advantage of their constrained movement. Incensed by the ambush, Colonel Mitch Nelson ordered the Rangers to return to standard tactics, drew a battalion from the Second CRC out of hidden positions in the Xertian Hills and promptly destroyed it, following a publicly recorded refusal on the part of Major Aaron Derfick of the Cavalry. The recordings of the battle, which also saw damage inflicted on a regiment of infantry and a regiment of armor that had accompanied the Cavalry, were subsequently broadcast to Xer, and prompted the remainder of the Second CRC to withdraw from Palos, leaving the militia to surrender.
Palos was one of the worlds incorporated into the Republic of the Sphere, a decision that did not go down well with the population; the insistence by Devlin Stone that Palos become a Republic world nearly resulted in a popular revolt amongst the population.
Palos continued to be a productive world during the Dark Age; careful land management on the continent of Murcia allowed the continued supply of a steady stream of ore and minerals, while Cartagena continued to be the world's breadbasket despite being the smallest of the three continents, producing the bulk of the food supply including the local indigenous mammals that were domesticated and farmed as an alternative to beef production. The planetary capital, Xer, was located on the Iberian Peninsula, a region on the northeastern coast of Valencia.
Palos is a large world, with an equatorial radius of nearly 15,000 km; despite the size of the planet, landmasses constitute just two-fifths of the surface. Palos has three large continents which were named Cartagena, Murcia and Valencia; of the three continents Valencia is the largest. The continent of Murcia is largely arid and is mainly composed of mountains and valleys with a covering of sparse vegetation and woodland. While Murcia is arid, it is also rich in minerals and resources. Valencia is covered with mountains and vast stretches of woodland.
- Xertian Hills
|Closest 72 systems (72 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Second Try||18.6||Sakhalin||20.3||Ulan Bator||20.8||Zaurak||22.1|
|Ilmar||45.9||Gan Singh||46.0||Foot Fall||46.4||Foochow||46.9|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 112: "Palos"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103: "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 12: "Timeline: Capellan Zone"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), pp. 14–15: "Blood and Gold"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), pp. 14–15: "The Capellan-Supremacy War"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17: "Capellan Confederation Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13: "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25: "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. xi: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War, pp. 24–25: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31: "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War, pp. 112–113: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39: "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), foldout: "Capellan Confederation Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40: "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 51: "Sixth Wave"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, pp. 53–54: "Palos"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49: "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10: Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22: Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10: Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60: "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68: "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 21: "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11: "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39: "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 12: "Prefecture V"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105: "CCAF Deployment Table - 3025"
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 120: "CCAF Deployment Table - 3063"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 33: "CCAF Deployment Table - 3067"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 164: "Joyous Springs Wines"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: CCAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Fortress