- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Elgin neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||1.54 : -50.974[e]|
|Recharge time||173 hours|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Elgin II
- 3.1 Planetary History
- 3.2 Political Affiliation
- 3.3 Planetary Rulers
- 3.4 Military Deployment
- 3.5 Geography
- 3.6 Planetary Locations
- 3.7 Nearby Systems
- 3.8 References
- 3.9 Bibliography
The Elgin system is located near the Hsien and Mandal systems and consists of a class K2v primary orbited by at least two planets. During the thirty-first century a recharge station was in place at the zenith jump point.
Amaris Civil War
During or after the Amaris Civil War the Essex-class destroyer SLS Oslo was abandoned in the Elgin system, either lost in action or scuttled; the Oslo was subsequently located in a debris field at the edge of the system by ComStar but was left where it had been found due to the amount of work that would be required to return it to active service.
Clan Invasion Era
The Free Worlds League became aware of the location of the Oslo thanks to information provided by the Word of Blake, who had relocated to the League after the schism within ComStar and who had decided to assist the League in its WarShip rearmament program. The Blakists helped the League locate twenty-two assorted derelict WarShips, of which the Oslo was one.
The League engaged in a daring operation in 3055 in which a salvage crew took their JumpShip into the Elgin system and spent several months working on the Oslo while avoiding the attention of the Federated Commonwealth's Fifth Republican, who were stationed in the system at the time. The salvage team were able to conduct enough repairs to the Oslo to enable her to jump into League space; from there the Oslo traveled to one of the League's clandestine shipyards capable of conducting repair and renovation work on WarShips.
|Highest native life||Plant|
|Ruler||Lady Sabrina Ling (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)||B (Precentor Negh Schwan) (3025)|
Elgin was originally founded as the planet Chisholm by wealthy nonconformists in the late 2100s, and formed a part of various states beginning with the Nanking Collective, then the Chisholm Protectorate, before becoming a part of the Chisholm Province within the Tikonov Grand Union.
When the Terran Alliance commissioned the Grand Alliance Survey of Populated Worlds in 2235 it was noted that Chisholm didn't consider itself to be even nominally under the authority of the Terran Alliance. However, despite the Tikonov Grand Union fighting a war with the Terran Hegemony over attempts to annex the Chisholm Province, once captured Chisholm would remain a part of the Terran Hegemony until the fall of the Star League.
It was noted as early as the 25th century that the native dialect on Chisholm was a particularly difficult dialect to speak. This dialect, referred to as Chisholian, has resulted in the embarrassment of at least one Capellan Chancellor.
Fourth Succession War
In early 3029 Federated Suns intelligence agents became aware that Chancellor Maximillian Liao had issued orders to the Maskirovka to assassinate Colonel Pavel Ridzik, his most senior military officer and advisor, whilst Ridzik was on Elgin. First Prince Hanse Davion, aware of the growing separation between Ridzik and the Chancellor, had already begun laying the groundwork to recruit Ridzik, and issued orders to have the assassination attempt thwarted. When a female Maskirovka agent initiated the attempt to kill Ridzik in the Golden Kirin, an upmarket restaurant in Sochalladan, the capital city of Elgin, in February 3029, Federated Suns agents hustled Ridzik away in safety to New Avalon, narrowly avoiding the explosion intended to kill him.
The negotiations between Ridzik and AFFS Lieutenant General Ardan Sortek led to Ridzik founding a new nation, the Tikonov Free Republic, from those worlds of the Tikonov Commonality that hadn't already been conquered during the first half of the Fourth Succession War. Ridzik returned to Elgin, the new capital of the Tikonov Free Republic, on the 3rd of March 3029 and swiftly began implementing a new government consisting of family members, friends and other appointees loyal to himself, purging dissident elements on the various Republic worlds and taking the opportunity to settle old scores.
Following the formation of the Chaos March Zhanzeng de Guang terrorist forces were active on Elgin in 3057. A high-ranking officer in the planetary forces was uncovered to be a Zhanzeng de Guang agent.
During the Jihad Elgin was annexed by the Word of Blake, and was in turn targeted for liberation by the allied coalition in January 3078 as a part of Operation SCOUR. Forces from the Free Worlds League Group II fought a bitter conflict with the defending First Elgin Protectorate Militia Division. The fight only ended when the Division commander was killed, leaving the coalition forces - believed to be the Seventh Pesht Regulars, Com Guard Fifth Army and the Home Guard - in possession of Elgin.
- 2235 - Chisholm Protectorate 
- ca. 2236 - 2243 - Tikonov Union
- 2243 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2773 - Terran Hegemony (from March)
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3029 - Tikonov Free Republic (from March)
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Independent World 
- 3062 - Independent World 
- 3077 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- Lady Sabrina Ling
- Supreme Lord Pavel Ridzik (from March)
- Fourth Confederation Reserve Cavalry (Second Battalion)
- Marion's Highlanders
- McCormack's Fusiliers
- Justine's Grenadiers (1st Battalion)
- Fifth Republican
- Fifth Republican
3072 to 3077
The landmasses on Elgin are spread across thousands of islands grouped into archipelagos and atolls, Jolo being the biggest and most important isle. Jolo harbors around half of the planet's population and holds the first city on Elgin (curiously named Elgin City in 3057 although the world was originally named Chisholm), the capital Sochalladan, and the planet's largest spaceport. The other (implying only two spaceports to exist) is Anguar. Other places of note are Shimoji, the Aopo Atoll, and the Buala Atoll with Ceram Island as its largest isle.
The flat areas consist mainly of porous coral matter and sand, and most terrain on Elgin is unsuitable for walking a 'Mech across or even landing a DropShip; it is forbidden to land a DropShip outside of the world's two starports. The stable rocky ground, by contrast, tends to be very rugged terrain.
Elgin's industrial capacity (such as what was left from the Succession Wars is controlled by ten noble families as of 3057. They maintain their own armies and form a joint administration. Named noble families include:
- Chuk, who control the capital city of Sochalladan
- Yiu, who control the entire north of Jolos save for the capital
- Tsang, who control the south of Jolos
- Lee, who control the entire Aopo Atoll
- Hou, of Ceram Island
- Sochalladan: the planetary capital city.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 139, "Planet Guide"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 9, "Liao And It's Neighbors"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 20, "The Tikonov Connection"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 10, "The Other Shoe"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 118, "FWLS Raven"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 116, "Aid From The Word of Blake"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16-17, "Tikonov Free Republic"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 139
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 11
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 19
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation After Age of War ]"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 29, "Say Again?"
- Warrior: Riposte, p. 294-295
- Waffengefährten, chapter "Elgin", pp. 31-79
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 78, "New Year, New Wave"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 44, "Wasat Falls?"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 45, "Overview: Alys Marik"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 44, "Too Much To Handle?"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16, "Tikonov Commonality (Map)"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 94, "End Of The War"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105, "Unit Deployment Table"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 106, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138 "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 24, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Objective Raids, p. 18, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 33
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Principes Guards"
- Waffengefährten, esp. pp. 31-36
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Objective Raids
- Warrior: Riposte