Epsilon Eridani nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||18.35 : -21.248[e]|
|Recharge time||193 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Nadir & Zenith|
- 1 Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Ownership History
- 4 Epsilon Eridani IV
- 4.1 Planet History
- 4.2 Military Deployments
- 4.3 Geography
- 4.4 Planetary Locations
- 4.5 Industrial Centers
- 4.6 Organizations
- 4.7 Gallery
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
The Epsilon Eridani consists of a class K2IV primary orbited by ten planets. and home to at least one habitable world, Epsilon Eridani IV, which as of 3145 was located in the Republic of the Sphere.
- 2208 - Terran Alliance 
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3029 - Tikonov Free Republic (from March)
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3061 - Chaos March 
- 3063 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Chaos March /Word of Blake Protectorate
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3078 - Federated Suns (from end of February), Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3151 - Capellan Confederation
Epsilon Eridani IV
|Epsilon Eridani IV|
|4.85 days |
|Moons||2 (Minori, Almagest)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler||Duke Pierre Benton (3062 - 3067)|
Kaleed al-Dallarah, Governor (3130)
Lorelei Benton, Legate (3130)
Theo McCellan, Governor (3141)
Rowan Roberts, Legate (3141)
|Socio-Industrial Levels||A-A-D-C-B (3141)|
|HPG (Representative)||B |
The world known as Epsilon Eridani was first discovered in 2050 by the Terran Alliance probe Magellan Four. The Terran Alliance explorer Alana Korvin DeVall helped found the Epsilon Eridani colony at some point prior to 2208, and Epsilon Eridani was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, later becoming one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony.
Circa the mid-22nd century, one of the Slowboat Colonization ships that had left Terra prior to the FTL first ships' creation arrived at Epsilon Eridani to find a burgeoning colony already established by Terran Alliance Jumpships. The Alliance, who had a long memory for dissidents, turned those missions into laughingstocks and not the historical achievements they were. It is not known what happened to those colonists.
Amaris Civil War
During the Star League era Epsilon Eridani became the site of the Army Headquarters for the SLDF Fifth Army, the administrative headquarters of the first region of the Capellan Confederation and a series of training bases, many of them major. With the eruption of the Periphery Uprising in 2766 the Fifth Army found itself responsible for the entire Capellan Confederation, and even though the Fifth Army received some reinforcements drawn from the First Army this greater astrographical area of responsibility naturally led to the Fifth Army being stretched thin.
When Stefan Amaris launched his coup on the 27th of December 2766 on Terra his forces also swung into action on all of the other worlds within the Terran Hegemony and a number of jointly-administered worlds. This included Epsilon Eridani; despite the Fifth Army being deployed across the Confederation there were still a large number of personnel from the Fifth Army on Epsilon Eridani, as well as a substantial number of SLDF personnel within the support and training organizations. These people, primarily administrative, support and logistics personnel, posed a risk to the Rim Worlds Republic forces, which had already managed to occupy at least one Castle Brian on Epsilon Eridani prior to the Coup beginning. The SLS Antietam Creek was a black navy ship from the SLDF attached to the 2nd Battalion of the 83rd BattleMech Division when the unit tried to escape from Epsilon Eridani during the Amaris Coup in 2767.
The Republican forces hadn't been able to establish a foothold within any of the training facilities or the Military Region administrative headquarters, and as a result when they launched their campaign to take control of Epsilon Eridani they bombarded the Castle Brian housing the Military Region HQ with multiple nuclear weapons while also hitting the various training bases with a combination of nuclear and biological attacks. While these attacks were largely effective, the Republicans didn't manage to hit every training base, nor were they able to track down and hit every location where SLDF equipment was stored; they also failed to capture or destroy all of the war matériel stored across Epsilon Eridani awaiting shipping to the Periphery front. Epsilon Eridani subsequently became a hotbed for resistance against the Republican forces and Stefan Amaris as the SLDF personnel who survived the initial attacks made use of the remaining equipment to form and lead resistance groups across the planet.
The AEAF orbital bombardment of Epsilon Eridani included strikes on the planetary capital, Madison, which was located on Parassus; the bombardment almost levelled the city, including the Star League mint which was located in the city and was responsible for printing Capellan currency.
After the capital Madison was bombarded by the Rim Worlds forces, many residents of the city found shelter inside the Harvard Company, Inc.'s aerospace components factory. Once Amaris landed those survivors were subjected to a brutal massacre and the factory was razed to the ground.
First Succession War
With the outbreak of fighting after the fall of the Star League, Epsilon Eridani surrendered itself to House Liao's Ariana Grenadiers and Justinia's Cuirassiers. This was part of House Liao's first campaign during the First Succession War to claim former Terran Hegemony worlds between 2780 and 2800.
Third Succession War
In 2944, House Liao's first Chesterton Voltigeurs repelled a House Marik raid on Epsilon Eridani. The unit had fended off the attack by Marik forces with heavy losses in air and ground support. In the last years of the Third Succession War, Laurel's Legion was able to make a blunt move to take the planet from House Davion forces in 3024.
Fourth Succession War
Following negotiations between Colonel Pavel Ridzik, chief military advisor to Chancellor Maximillian Liao, and AFFS Lieutenant General Ardan Sortek, conducted in February 3029 Ridzik created a new nation, the Tikonov Free Republic. The Republic was created by incorporating those worlds of the Tikonov Commonality that hadn't already been conquered during the first half of the Fourth Succession War. Ridzik returned to Elgin, the new capital of the Tikonov Free Republic, on the 3rd of March 3029 and swiftly began implementing a new government consisting of family members, friends and other appointees loyal to himself, purging dissident elements on the various Republic worlds and taking the opportunity to settle old scores. Epsilon Eridani was one of the systems incorporated into the Republic.
Civil War Era
In 3062, the mercenary units Kingston's Killers and The 48th were hired to take part in a small conflict on the side of Palatine of Duvic faction against the County Shu faction. This conflict would find the Kingston's Killers to be all but destroyed and the Palatine of Duvic faction found guilty of conspiring with the Word of Blake against the planetary government. The 48th were reported to be cleared of all wrongdoings by the local authorities when evidence of their employers’ corruption came to light.
Major Kingston Crawford, for whom the unit was named, died at the hands of a reinforced light lance of the Shu County Volunteer Battalion BattleMechs, called the Vigilantes (formerly Veck's Vigilantes, after the previous unit commander), commanded by Commander Tybalt Kelly. Kelly's lance consisted of his Lineholder, a Raven, a Javelin, and a pair of Commandos. Both the Javelin and one Commando were lost in the fight with Crawford's Pillager. Major Namihito, commander of the 48th, was involved in uncovering the collusion between the Duvic Palatine and the Word of Blake.
In 3067 two mercenary units, the Lone Star Regiment and Redfield's Renegades, were battling on Epsilon Eridani when they made a significant discovery. The fighting near the Shamus Mountains unearthed an old Star League Defense Force depot hidden within the mountains. Still intact within the Depot was a functioning Colossus-class DropShip in pristine condition. Both mercenary units immediately laid claim to the DropShip, and with neither willing to compromise a grueling combat was initiated that saw both units take heavy casualties. Ultimately, the Lone Star Regiment were the victors and recovered both the DropShip and the battlefield salvage as prizes.
The Word of Blake assimilated Epsilon Eridani into their Protectorate early in the Jihad, and it would remain a Blakist world until February 3078. Forces from the Federated Suns front of Operation SCOUR liberated Epsilon Eridani on the 22nd of February after a fiercely fought week-long battle against the defending Epsilon Eridani Protectorate Militia forces. The assault on Epsilon Eridani was one of - if not the - first assault to be performed on the Federated Suns front since command of the front passed to Marshal Jon Davion following the death of Field Marshal Katheryn Sandoval-Ito on Acamar. Leading Group II of the Federated Suns front personally, Davion deployed the allied coalition forces via a combined arms suborbital drop strategy that he had developed during his time at Sakhara Academy. The drop allowed the coalition forces to strike directly at the Blakist leadership on Epsilon Eridani, decapitating the Word of Blake forces on the planet within the first 24 hours of combat operations and restoring civil law to the capital within a week.
The Federated Suns News Service held up the smooth transition in leadership between Sandoval-Ito and Davion as an example of how closely the Marshal of the Armies had been involved in planning the Federated Suns front of SCOUR, and held up the quick campaign by Group III as an example of how the Group was a genuinely integrated force. The FSNS also included a human interest piece to substantiate the claim for easy integration, detailing an American Football match on Epsilon Eridani on or around the 22nd of February that saw a team consisting of members of Clan Nova Cat's Delta Galaxy augmented by personnel from the Drake's Drivers mercenary unit on one side and an LAAF offensive line on the other team, backed up by runners and receivers from the Benjamin Regulars and fielding a Com Guard quarterback.
The city of Madison, rebuilt after the Amaris Civil War, continued to serve as planetary capital during the rule of the Republic of the Sphere. Madison was located 370 km northwest of Dori, the large port city located on the shores of Lake Arous which was itself the center of Epsilon Eridani's commercial industry. It was here that Malcolm Buhl's faction of ComStar built its primary base of operations in the planet's second newly recovered SLDF depot. In February of 3141 after the reborn 1st Division had made itself known and were chased from their Omega base on Luyten 68-28. It was here that the new Com Guards would attempt a fighting stand against the RAF. After 10 days of brutal fighting, the Republic forces of Stone's Revenants and the XIV Hastati Sentinels had effectively destroyed the Blessed Order.
- Epsilon Eridani Sarna March Militia 
- Redfield Renegades
- Bronson's Horde
- Lone Star Regiment
- Wolf's Dragoons (Beta Regiment)
- Wolf Spider Battalion
- Lone Star Regiment
3068 to 3070
- - At this point in time, the V Protectors was at 60% of full strength, with 61% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Epsilon Eridani is a pleasant but damp world, prone to frequent mild rainstorms. The two major continents are the southern continent of Gousha, which is divided primarily into a mix of swamplands and rainforest, and the northern continent of Parassus, which is rockier and drier than Gousha but still prone to frequent rain. Located on Parassus is a large lake named Lake Arous.
- Harvard Company (destroyed during First Succession War)
- Kressly Technologies
- Benton SmeltWerks
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra states that during the Jihad, Epsilon Eridani was liberated by Group II of the Federated Suns front of Operation SCOUR. This has been noted to be an error; Epsilon Eridani was actually liberated by Group III of the Federated Suns task force.
|“||Epsilon Eridani was liberated by Group III of the Federated Suns thrust.
|— Øystein Tvedten, BattleTech Developer, 06 Aug 2012|
- Epsilon Eridani IV's number of moons was not been consistent, as older publications only mention the planet only having 1 Moon (such as Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)). However in Robert N. Charrette novel, Initiation to War, references are made using "moons" (plural). This "2 moon subject" then shows up again in Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani, and goes on to present an orbital view of the planet with 2 moons on the following page. It was then confirmed to have 2 moons by BattleTech's Assistant Line Developer, Ray Arrastia.
|“||It has a wide elitical orbit. Two moons is correct. The older publication is incorrect (and has been known to contradict other sources).||”|
|— Ray Arrastia, Assistant Line Developer, 15 Mar 2018|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 238, "Epsilon Eridani"
- Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani, p. 3-4, "Atlas"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 64, "The Korvin Doctrine"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding - [ Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 84-85, "Atrocities And Excesses"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Sourcebook), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Sourcebook), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. vii, "Capellan Confederation Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16-17, "Tikonov Free Republic"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16, "Tikonov Commonality (Map)"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 94, "End Of The War"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Initiation to War
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor/Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii , "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- BattleTech Official Forums - Topic: The Moons of Epsilon Eridani, Adrian Gideon's reply
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook), p. 110
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 22 "Prefecture IX"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 9, "Early TA unmanned probe discovers Eridani".
- Jihad Conspiracies: Interstellar Players 2, p. 66 "Terrelibre"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 43, "5th Army"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 80, "Cometh Hell's Legions"
- Lawyers, Guns, & Money
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (ScandalVids section), news item published [19/04/3080]: "Epsilon Eridani's Star League Ghosts!"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 45, "Eridani E surrenders to Liao forces in 1st Succession War".
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 83, "1st Chesterton Voltigeurs" - Unit action during the Third Succession War on Epsilon Eridani.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 83, "Laurel's Legion" - Unit profile shows it fending off Davion attack in 3024.
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update - The 48th, p. 24
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 198, "Colossus"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 71, "Epsilon Eridani Liberated"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 140
- Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani - Avenging Angels, p. 7
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 138 "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 24
- Chaos March, p. 33
- Mercenaries Supplemental , p. 66, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 70, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployments"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Principes Guards"
- Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani - Atlas, p. 5
- Dark Age: 3132-3134 INN, p. 130
- Lawyers, Guns, & Money
- Wolf's Dragoons (sourcebook), p. 44, "Theories On Dragoon Origins"
- BattleCorps ScandalVids, 19/04/3080: "Epsilon Eridani's Star League Ghosts!"
- Battletech Offical Forums: The Moons of Epsilon Eridani
- Chaos March
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War (Sourcebook)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Initiation to War (novel)
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Fortress
- Technical Readout: 3075
- Turning Points: Epsilon Eridani