Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Devil's Rock nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-36.193 : -15.302[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Devil's Rock
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2755 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3134 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3151 - Wolf Empire 
According to Jack Ramsey who grew up on Devil's Rock, the planet is "hot most of the time" and the air is not breathable; people live in domed cities. There are three continents. Also mentioned are vast volcanic fields on Ash (Ash being capitalized implies it may be the name of one of the continents) of nothing but basalt, heated by water springs underneath, and a desert two or three times as large as the Terran Sahara.
Having become independent as a result of the Demarcation Declaration, Devil's Rock was subsequently added to the resurgent Terran Hegemony; whilst some worlds joined the Hegemony during its early years as a result of diplomatic and trade incentives, many more were conquered in "campaigns of persuasion" launched by Director-General James McKenna, the first of which began in 2316 and ended with the capture of Towne in 2317. Devil's Rock was one of the worlds added to the Hegemony during or around the time of this first campaign of persuasion.
Devil's Rock was a mostly unremarkable world. With an economy based on trade it possessed a large number of spaceports across the planet's surface. In addition to legitimate trade, criminal organizations also settled the world. Though many controlling factions attempted to destroy these black market operations, none were successful.
Star League Era
In one of the few recorded instances on a Terran Hegemony world, Devil's Rock was the target of a sizable bandit force. They were attempting to raid a munitions dump located in the Hades Mountains. The newly created Eighty-first BattleMech Division defeated the bandits without a single casualty. Thus earning the nickname The Devils of Devil's Rock.
In January 2775 Stefan Amaris redeployed large numbers of Amaris Empire Armed Forces to a dozen worlds, including Devil's Rock. AEAF units had used weapons of mass destruction regularly against Star League Defense Force units throughout the Hegemony Campaign, predominantly to either damage the SLDF units targeted or to strike at civilian targets to prevent the SLDF from obtaining resources and supplies. In this case, Amaris' orders were different: he intended to create scorched wastelands that Commanding General Aleksandr Kerensky would have no choice but to try and clear, whilst saddling the SLDF with huge numbers of sick and starving civilians. The AEAF units deployed to Devil's Rock and the other eleven worlds due to be abandoned by Amaris launched large-scale WMD attacks with one purpose: to ravage the worlds, preventing them from sustaining either their human populations or their various industries... to create wastelands.
The AEAF tactic was both brutal and brutally effective. Kerensky deployed twelve corps of SLDF personnel into Amaris Empire space, and each discovered the same horrific situations. Forced to deploy the SLDF reserve into action, by February Kerensky had almost a hundred SLDF divisions either on the twelve ravaged worlds or en route to them, trying to provide aid to the populations and to clear up what damage they could. Devil's Rock fell within the operating area of Task Force Commonwealth, and the Second Army Group deployed to try and assist the population. The devastation wreaked across Devil's Rock and the other worlds bought Amaris time; for several months Kerensky was unable to resume offensive operations because of a lack of resources, and ultimately the Commanding General had no choice but to call on the Capellan Confederation, Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns to provide relief where they could.
Fourth Succession War
Following the sudden invasions of several League worlds by the Tikonov Free Republic and a daringly successful invasion of Callison by mercenaries employed by the Lyran Commonwealth in mid-3029, Captain-General Janos Marik found himself in the midst of an unanticipated crisis. In addition to the conquest of Callison, LCAF communications traffic and movements had spiked sharply, creating the impression of an impending offensive against the League. Faced with what he believed to be the plausible threat of a large-scale attack aimed at the region of the League near Terra, Janos was more concerned with saving the six or seven assorted BattleMech regiments present within the region than he was with retaining the worlds, as he believed that the offensive would most likely be aimed at snipping off the corner of the League closest to Terra - and to both the Federated Suns and the Tikonov Free Republic. Devil's Rock was one of the systems abandoned by Janos, who would learn later that he had been deceived by an effective campaign of smoke and mirrors arranged by the Commonwealth General of the Armies, Edward Regis, to deter the League from launching an invasion of the Commonwealth while the LCAF was heavily committed to its invasion of the Draconis Combine.
Devil's Rock was invaded in the second wave of Operation GUERRERO by the Third Free Worlds Guards. The defending Planetary Militia rapidly bogged down the Marik forces in a harsh fight, but eventually the invaders crushed all organized resistance.
On the 31st of October 3081, Republic of the Sphere-affiliated forces attempted to ambush surviving elements of the Forty-ninth Shadow Division and the notorious Opacus Venatori Precentor, Berith, at the location known as the Gates of Hades on Devil's Rock. The Republican forces were acting on information provided by the intelligence operative known as Damocles, who accompanied them into battle; the ambush was actually the result of intelligence planted by Berith, who was determined to kill Damocles. In this, Berith succeeded; having goaded Damocles into a berserk, suicidal rage, three Opacus Venatori BattleMechs combined their fire on the charging Com Guard agent when he charged, and then three Asura battlesuits latched onto the cockpit of Damocles's Crockett and incinerated him. The Blakist forces then retreated in good order, leaving the remaining Republican forces alive. During the ambush, Berith referred to Damocles as "Stryker".
The Dark Age
The Republic of the Sphere research project known as the Rhodes Project which developed the Colossal-class tripod BattleMechs was based on Devil's Rock during the Dark Age as part of the Republic's work on RISC technologies. Anticipating that Devil's Rock would be in the first wave of planets to be attacked by the Wolf Empire in the event of an invasion of the Republic, the Republic Armed Forces augmented the standing garrison on Devil's Rock with a company of tripod Ares super-heavy BattleMechs, as well as rigging both the BattleMech factories and their power stations with powerful demolition charges to be used if they were at imminent risk of capture.
- Faust City:
- Gates of Hades: location of a notable battle during the Jihad.
- Hades Mountains: location of a munitions dump during the years of the Star League.
|Closest 84 systems (82 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Xi Ursae Majoris||15.9||Afleir||19.5||Talitha||19.5||New Dallas||21.4|
|Callison||26.4||Thorin||26.5||Van Diemen||26.6||Tau Ceti||30.0|
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103, "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation ]"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation After Age of War ]"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 33, "Planets on Fire"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- ' Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Daughter of the Dragon, Prologue
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Blood Avatar, chapter 23 (print edition p. 123)
- The Star League, p. 16, "Terra's Errant Flock"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 18, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding "
- Total Chaos, p. 241
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 181, "81st BattleMech Division"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 40, "Task Force Commonwealth"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 87, "Conclusion"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War "
- Shattered Sphere, p. 74, "Operation Guerrero, Second Wave"
- Total Chaos, p. 241-242, "DEVIL'S ROCK"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 78-79, "Chaos Undaunted: Scrap Iron"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 4 "Functional Republic HPGs as of 01 January 3135"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 136, "Behind the Wall"
- Technical Readout 3145: Republic of the Sphere, p. 2, "Introduction"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p. 46, "ARS-V1 Ares"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Hastati Sentinels"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 181, "81st BattleMech Division"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p. 7, "Simian Battle Armor"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p. 9, "Centaur Battle Armor"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p. 44, "PSD-V2 Poseidon"
- Technical Readout: 3145, pp. 18, 25, 182, 184
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3, pp. 11, 33 - Triskelion "Introduction and development info for the Triskelion.
- Blood Avatar (novel)
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Daughter of the Dragon (novel)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report: FWLM
- First Succession War (Source Book)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Fortress
- Shattered Sphere
- The Star League
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere
- Technical Readout: 3145
- Total Chaos