- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Cauldron's Bear_cl4w and Krasnopesky Talk MechWarrior Online
- MechWarrior Online's Renaissance Is All Thanks To The Developers Putting Players In Charge
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2021
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Irian nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||-46.531 : -56.396[e]|
|Recharge time||186 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
- 1 Irian
- 2 Irian III
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Nearby Systems
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
The Irian system is located near the Acubens and Pliska systems and consists of a class G5III primary orbited by nine worlds. During the thirty-first century recharge stations were in place at both system jump points within the system.
Planetary flag of Irian
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||43°C (Warm-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Plant|
|Ruler|| President Georgio Frapollo (3025)|
CEO Sigmund Hughes (3067)
Governor: Frederik Syrmar (3130)
Planetary Legate: Ramon Martinez (3130)
|Capital|| Kirin River (pre-Jihad)|
|Population|| 2,169,000,000 (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor William Mullahey)|
Irian III - more commonly known simply as Irian - is the third planet of nine in the system and has a single moon named Prospero. Irian is a heavily industrialized world and for much of its history has been a local power.
In defiance of the unspectacular nature of the world they colonized, the settlers who landed on Irian and their descendants swiftly developed the world into a center for trade, commerce and industry. Many industries established factory sites located in valleys of northern Indran, close to the capital city of Kirin River; in 2255 the company known as Irian Technologies or IrTech assumed the role of de facto government of the planet, beginning a corporate-state hybrid organization that went on to dominate Irian and a number of other planets in the Free Worlds League. The hybridized nature of IrTech and the planets it controlled made both exempt from a number of federal government controls over provincial politics, while also allowing it to wield more power and influence than any other industrial or business conglomerate, and Irian became a world considered to be as strategically important as worlds such as Hesperus II in the nearby Lyran Commonwealth.
The Reunification War
During the Reunification War Irian was one of several worlds within the Free Worlds League that prisoners captured during the war between the Star League and the Magistracy of Canopus were interned. While troublesome prisoners were interned in prisons, the majority of the internment facilities resembled military barracks, and with the Canopians lacking any of the paperwork or identification required for interstellar travel conditions were rather relaxed. While prisoner rosters were taken and checked, the Canopians were given access to sports, leisure and education facilities, as well as a small stipend. Many of the MAF officers actually found themselves being invited by the local military and nobility to soirees and events where the Canopians were the guest of honor. This was tacitly - or possibly actively - encouraged by Captain-General Marion Marik as both a demonstration to the Canopians of the benefits of life available under the Star League and as a reminder to First Lord Ian Cameron of the benefits of applying a carrot to the Periphery nations, rather than a stick. Many of the Canopian prisoners who returned to the Magistracy after the war became active and vocal supporters of integration with the Star League as a result of their humane treatment during the war.
Irian continued to thrive, waxing strong after the fall of the Star League when the influence and manufacturing capabilities possessed by IrTech made the company the military supplier of choice to the Free Worlds League Military. Other defense-related manufacturers were attracted to Irian and established facilities there, including such companies as Brooks, Incorporated - a manufacturer of armored vehicles - and the weapons manufacturer Diverse Optics, helping Irian dominate the field of military manufacturing within the League during the early Succession Wars. Irian's industrial development wasn't solely limited to military manufacturing, however; mining and refining companies such as the Arcadia Mining Corporation and Irian Non-Ferrous also invested in Irian, providing infrastructure support to the League through their facilities there. Irian's influence didn't come without a cost; the strategic importance of the planet and the industries located on it made it a target for both strikes by both the Lyran Commonwealth and the Capellan Confederation.
Second Succession War
After the end of the ComStar War Captain-General Charles Marik led a desperate defense of the Free Worlds League as both the Lyran Commonwealth and Capellan Confederation continued largely successful invasions that had begun while the League was under a communications interdiction. Charles' opponents in Parliament continued to starve the Free Worlds League Military of supplies in an attempt to exert influence over Charles, who had been the focus of criticism for all of his opponents and those who objected to his war with ComStar for five years, even as both the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and Capellan Confederation Armed Forces drew ever-closer to Irian. Charles traveled to Irian in 2841 to gather his forces for a last stand, and his opponents found their support in Parliament crumbling in his absence. Two of Charles' closest allies in Parliament, Kendall Allison and Jonathan Humphreys, began mustering support to take advantage of the increasing disarray among the Marik's opponents. An LCAF invasion force landed on Irian on the 5th of January 2842 even as Charles' supporters gained a majority in a vote to restore support and funding to the FWLM. Even as the military command began mustering troops and supplies for a counterattack, Charles and the commander of the First Fusiliers of Oriente, Harlan Allison, led an inspired defense against three times their own numbers for the better part of two months. Reinforcements arrived in late March, and after a month of hard-fought campaigning the LCAF troops were forced off Irian, without any of the important 'Mech factories on the planet suffering serious damage.
Although the defense of Irian was successful in 2842, it was presumably captured at a later date by the Lyran Commonwealth, as it was recaptured for the Free Worlds League by the Eridani Light Horse mercenary unit in 2854.
Marik Civil War
In the early stages of the Marik Civil War in 3014, Duke Anton Marik's special operations forces together with disgruntled workers took control of the Soapstone Mountain BattleMech plant (that had been producing the Hermes and Guillotine, and implicitly also Archer and Wasp designs) as part of Anton's effort to gain control of key industries. The First Marik Militia, reluctant to damage the factory, initially isolated it and tried to negotiate; however, when Captain-General Janos Marik demanded an immediate resolution to the situation on Irian they staged an assault where the rebels' defense efforts effectively razed the factory. Dame Catherine Humphreys of Andurien poured considerable funds into its reconstruction; Sigmund Hughes, whose mistress Louise Humphreys was a daughter of Dame Catherine Humphreys, became president of Irian BattleMechs Unlimited and oversaw the reconstruction which was completed within less than three years. It would produce Hermes II after the rebuild. According to a ComStar dossier, the credit for rebuilding the factory should go to two mysterious techs who spearheaded the effort and whose names are given as Nkrumah Blake and Gowarjapul Campion.
During the third week of June 3069 the worlds of Berenson, Irian, Procyon and Sirius were rocked by internal conflict as Free Worlds League Loyalists clashed with local government forces as a result of the local governments turning against the false Thomas Marik and the government on Atreus.
On the 18th of January 3074 Irian was raided by Regulan forces under the command of Titus Cameron-Jones and suffered heavy damage. The Free Worlds League government on Atreus loudly condemned the Regulan attack. The pro-Blakist regime running Irian was overthrown on the 8th of December 3075; the resistance to the ruling regime had been fighting for years, largely in hiding, in a bloody campaign to oust the Blakists. As the Word of Blake forces retreated from Irian they used scorched earth tactics to cover their retreat, deliberately targeting a number of IrTech facilities for destruction by tactical nuclear device as they went. The Blakists devastated the Kirin River valley area, and their strikes killed more than a billion people as well as destroying the corporate headquarters of many companies - including IrTech and the Arcadia Mining Corporation - as well as heavily damaging the Irian BattleMechs Unlimited factories located in the Soapstone Mountains.
The Dark Age
Although Irian was brutalized by the Blakists attacks in 3075, enough of the population and planetary infrastructure survived to allow a provisional government to be established in Kentwood, a spaceport megalopolis on the northeastern shores of the continent of Hathor, and Kentwood went on to become the new planetary capital. Duchess Alys Rousset-Marik ceded Irian and a number of other former League worlds to the Republic of the Sphere, and under Republican rule Irian spent sixty years attempting to recover from the damage inflicted during the Jihad.
In August 3133 a Maskirovka team revealed the discovery of a secret BattleMech factory located on Irian. The news prompted many of the separatist factions active within the Republic of the Sphere to descend on Irian in an attempt to claim the factory. The first forces arrived in September, and battles characterized by constantly-shifting alliances lasted until December, when the Dragon's Fury triumphed over the other factions and formed an alliance with the planetary government. The Republic Armed Forces HQ on Terra allowed the Dragon's Fury to retain control of the system in the short term as a means of freeing up troops for deployment elsewhere in the Republic, while effectively tying The Brotherhood regiment of the Dragon's Fury down in place defending their new possession.
- 2255 - Independent world 
- 2271 - Independent world 
- 2571 - Free Worlds League 
- 2596 - Free Worlds League 
- 2750 - Free Worlds League 
- 2765 - Free Worlds League 
- 2786 - Free Worlds League 
- 2822 - Free Worlds League 
- 2854 - Free Worlds League (recaptured from the Lyran Commonwealth)
- 2864 - Free Worlds League 
- 3025 - Free Worlds League 
- 3030 - Free Worlds League 
- 3040 - Free Worlds League 
- 3050 - Free Worlds League 
- 3052 - Free Worlds League 
- 3057 - Free Worlds League 
- 3058 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Free Worlds League 
- 3067 - Free Worlds League 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Free Worlds League 
- President Georgio Frapollo
- CEO Sigmund Hughes
- Eighth Atrean Dragoons
- Eighth Atrean Dragoons
- Third Free Worlds Guards (from October)
- Thirteenth Marik Militia
- - At this point in time, the VII Hastati was at 75% of full strength, with 91% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Irian has four continents named Bruin, Halthor, Indran and Kreiss. The continents lack much variation in terrain, with each continent dominated by long series of monotonous rolling hills. Irian has an unspectacular climate, and the majority of the native vegetation is inedible.
- Cassandra Station: a major city located on the north coast of Bruin.
- Harlingen: A city located on the continent of Bruin.
- Javapura: A megapolis city on the continent of Bruin.
- Jet City: A Dropport located on the northwestern shores of the continent Bruin.
- Kentwood: A spaceport megalopolis city on the northeastern shores of the continent of Hathor, which went on to become the new planetary capital after the Jihad.
- Kirin River: The original planetary capital city, located north of the Soapstone Mountains on continent of Indran; devastated when the Kirin River valley area was targeted with nuclear devices by the Word of Blake during the Jihad.
- Kivapura: A city located on the continent of Bruin, in west of the Mont Bruno Range.
- Yantapura: A city located on Bruin in south of the Dropport Jet City.
- Irian BattleMechs Unlimited
- Irian Media Interstellar
- Brooks, Inc.
- IMB Systems
- Diverse Optics Incorporated
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 163, "Irian"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 70, "Irian"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 160, "Irian World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 99, "Honors of War"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 34, "Driven To The Brink"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 35, "Recovery and Stalemate"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 127
- Brush Wars, p. 23
- Brush Wars, p. 27
- Brush Wars, p. 27, reports "heavy damage" while House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 127, reports the factory was "virtually razed"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 47, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 48, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 52, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 19, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Turning Points: Irian, pp. 35-38, "Map of Irian"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 7, "Important Military Actions of 3133"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 4 "Functional Republic HPGs as of 01 January 3135"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13, "Free Worlds League before after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- ' Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "FWLM Deployment Map "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 254, "SLDF - Free Worlds League Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 9, "Atrean Dragoons"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 140, "Deployment Table"
- 20-Year Update, p. 56
- Objective Raids, p. 38, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 110, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 112, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 160, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployment"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 51, "Corporate Rebellion"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 14, "Regimental Status"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 115, "Free Worlds League Military"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 127, "Irian Technologies"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 127, "Irian Technologies"
- Brush Wars
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Objective Raids
- Turning Points: Irian