- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Happy Holidays From Sarna!
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For December 2020
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For November 2020
- Did You Know? - There Was A BattleTech Card Game, And It Was Great™
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Asta nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||4.129 : 25.543[e]|
- 1 Asta
- 2 Asta II
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Nearby Systems
- 2.8 References
- 2.9 Bibliography
| Jump point
|Moons||2 (Arowhena, Eddelle)|
|Atmospheric pressure||High (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Ruler|| Illyana Petchenko, Governor (3130)|
Anfernee van Lark, Legate (3130)
|Capital|| Excaliba (3077)|
Asta II - more commonly referred to simply as Asta - is the second planet in the Asta system and is a temperate, agrarian world with two moons named Arowhena and Eddelle.
Asta was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, and became one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony. Temperate and beautiful, Asta was a trading world for both the Draconis Combine and Free Worlds League and was famous for the crystalline rock formations found in the desert canyons dotted across the supercontinent of Balerdo.
Star League Era
In January 2775 Stefan Amaris redeployed large numbers of Amaris Empire Armed Forces to a dozen worlds, including Asta. AEAF units had used weapons of mass destruction regularly against Star League Defense Force units throughout the Hegemony Campaign, predominantly to either damage the SLDF units targeted or to strike at civilian targets to prevent the SLDF from obtaining resources and supplies. In this case, Amaris' orders were different: he intended to create scorched wastelands that Commanding General Aleksandr Kerensky would have no choice but to try and clear, whilst saddling the SLDF with huge numbers of sick and starving civilians. The AEAF units deployed to Asta and the other eleven worlds due to be abandoned by Amaris launched large-scale WMD attacks with one purpose: to ravage the worlds, preventing them from sustaining either their human populations or their various industries... to create wastelands.
Asta subsequently became known for the "Asta mistake". Whilst the list of worlds to abandon had been agreed as a result of strategy meetings between Amaris and his advisors in late 2774, and all twelve worlds were identified as having no strategic value or worthwhile defenses, shortly before the list was published Amaris flew into a rage at Asta being on it. Having already agreed to the list, Amaris' was enraged because Asta lay within 30 light years of Terra; he personally shot the Colonel offered up as a sacrificial lamb by his advisors to take the blame for the decision, and ordered that Asta be removed from the list. Whilst the orders were changed to that effect, the routing data for the orders to be transmitted via wasn't altered, meaning that the senior officer on Asta, General Muulun, received a copy. Although his planet wasn't named, Muulun received the orders directly, and as Asta was clearly a world that fell within the criteria of lacking significance or defenses - and as disobeying the order or questioning it would have been considered treason - Muulun implemented the order. All of the AEAF facilities on Asta were destroyed, the ground was salted, and all AEAF units were withdrawn. When he heard the news, Amaris promptly recalled Muulun, and when presented by his strategists with twenty anonymous prisoners led by Muulun, all in shackles, Amaris executed Muulun, demoted General Norr - his senior strategist - added Norr's consort and youngest child to the column of prisoners and forced Muulun to execute all of them.
The AEAF tactics on Asta were both brutal and brutally effective. Kerensky deployed twelve corps of SLDF personnel into Amaris Empire space, and each discovered the same horrific situations. Forced to deploy the SLDF reserve into action, by February Kerensky had almost a hundred SLDF divisions either on the twelve ravaged worlds or en route to them, trying to provide aid to the populations and to clear up what damage they could. Asta fell within the operating area of Task Force Commonwealth, and the Thirteenth Army Group deployed LVI Corps to try and assist the population. The devastation wreaked across Asta and the other worlds bought Amaris time; for several months Kerensky was unable to resume offensive operations because of a lack of resources, and ultimately the Commanding General had no choice but to call on the Capellan Confederation, Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns to provide relief where they could.
Fourth Succession War
Following the successes achieved by the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces during Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG, the major Lyran offensive launched in late 3028, a lull settled over the front while the LCAF consolidated its gains, rested and resupplied its troops and fought with counter-attacking Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery units. General Jack Sphire, Margrave of the Ryde Theater of the Commonwealth, was responsible for devising a plan to break the deadlock on offensive operations against the combine in the Ryde area of operations. Ryde's plan, dubbed Operation HOLDUR, was designed to seize further systems by deploying all available troops, up to and including planetary militia forces. HOLDUR was risky, but Sphire hoped that by launching quick and forceful attacks using the BattleMech regiments available to him, the DCMS would be left with too little time to make further counterattacks. Archon Katrina Steiner approved the plan and mobilised additional 'Mech regiments to support HOLDUR, deploying regiments that had previously been held in reserve. When assigning these additional forces, the Archon dictated that these forces had to be used at the Terran end of the Ryde area, so that they could respond to any attacks originating from the Free Worlds League. This led Sphire to adjust his plan somewhat, but on the 1st of JUne 3029 Operation HOLDUR began, with the better part of a hundred assorted regiments deploying from the Federation of Skye to attack eight Combine systems.
The Twelfth Star Guards were tasked with capturing two planets during HOLDUR; Asta and Lambrecht. The Guards' Seventh Regiment landed on Asta and seized the planet quickly after destroying the few DCMS 'Mechs on the world, despite the threat of fortifications and minefields.
Prior to the Jihad, Asta was a primarily agricultural world with an economy based on exported textiles and food. Tourism was also a smaller part of the economy, with tourists and geologists arriving to examine the strange crystal rock formations in the desert canyons of the main continent, Baldero. The Blakists attacked the world via orbital bombardment, destroying the small Draconis Combine military unit stationed there, and forcibly integrated it into the Word of Blake Protectorate between the 19th and 21st of June 3068. Having occupied Altair the Blakists then established several "re-education" camps on the planet.
It was from a prison camp on Asta that the noted military officer Andrew Redburn was liberated on the 18th of March 3077; Redburn had been presumed dead since the attack on Tukayyid at the beginning of the Jihad, but was rescued alive by allied coalition forces led by Clan Ghost Bear, and promptly joined the general staff of the coalition leader, Devlin Stone. The forces from the Draconis Combine front of Operation SCOUR that liberated Asta were led by Tai-shu Isoroku Kurita, and began by securing what was left of the planetary capital, Excaliba, in the face of stiff resistance that finally broke with the arrival of the Second Genyosha. The main Combine force then rolled up the remaining Blakist presence on the Balerdo continent while the Ghost Bear forces cleared the Moolai continent. The Combine forces benefitted from an uprising in a Blakist reeducation camp near the port city of Logan which had spread through other camps a week or so before the coalition forces arrived. The uprisings, led by Andrew Redburn, weakened and distracted the Blakist forces, something the coalition forces were able to take advantage of, shortening the campaign for Asta by at least a week if not more.
During the Dark Age the Desert Ice Fields of the Balerdo Grande canyon became home to the planet's memorial to those killed on Asta during the Jihad. The damage to Excaliba inflicted during the Jihad was so severe that the city was effectively destroyed, and Logan became the new planetary capital.
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 2864 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3029 - Contest (Draconis Combine / Lyran Commonwealth) (from June)
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3068 - [Word of Blake Protectorate] (from July)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3077 - Word of Blake Protectorate (until May)
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
Asta has two major continents, a supercontinent named Balerdo located in the north-west and a smaller continent named Moolai located in the south. One of the most distinctive geological features on the planet are the Desert Ice Fields of Balerdo Grande.
- Charbyllis: largest city on Moolai and center of the planetary textile industry, located to the south and west of the agricultural plains on Moolai.
- Excaliba: The planetary capital city prior to its destruction during the Jihad.
- Logan: Port and planetary capital city after the destruction of Excaliba; located on Logan.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 230, "Asta World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 22 "Prefecture IX"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 32, "Official Update 2"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 33, "Planets on Fire"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 28, "The Asta Mistake"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 40, "Task Force Commonwealth"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 60, "Draconis Front (January 3029)"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 73, "Ryde Theater"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 57, "The Jihad In Review"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 36039  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- ' Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 137, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- 20 Year Update, p. 40, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 71, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 145, "Republic Armed Forces - Stone's Brigade"
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere