Sheratan nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||40.84 : -21.506[e]|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Sheratan V
- 3 Map Gallery
- 4 Nearby Systems
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2786 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3029 - Tikonov Free Republic (from March)
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Chaos March 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3063 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Chaos March 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3151 - Capellan Confederation 
Orbital view of Sheratan
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler||Josef Sparrow, Governor (3130)|
Alex Ravenswood, Legate (3130)
Sheratan is an agricultural world. The land is arranged in a single continent with several large inland seas. This continent is covered in forests, jungles, and farmland. Sheratan is described as being a beautiful world, sparsely populated, with forests and jungles around the equator. The forests created large fertile areas, and agricultural concerns moved in, bought land, cut down the forests and planted fruits and vegetables from across the Inner Sphere..
Having become independent as a result of the Demarcation Declaration, Sheratan was subsequently added to the resurgent Terran Hegemony; whilst some worlds joined the Hegemony during its early years as a result of diplomatic and trade incentives, many more were conquered in "campaigns of persuasion" launched by Director-General James McKenna, the first of which began in 2316 and ended with the capture of Towne in 2317. Sheratan was one of the worlds added to the Hegemony during or around the time of this first military campaign.
Other than a great deal of farmland, Sheratan had nothing else to recommend it. Therefore it was generally spared the horrific effects of the Succession Wars. During the formation of the Chaos March however, the world was ravaged by CCAF troops. After the world joined the Republic of the Sphere, its economy and population stabilized.
Fourth Succession War
Following negotiations between Colonel Pavel Ridzik, chief military advisor to Chancellor Maximilian Liao, and AFFS Lieutenant General Ardan Sortek, conducted in February 3029 Ridzik created a new nation, the Tikonov Free Republic. The Republic was created by incorporating those worlds of the Tikonov Commonality that hadn't already been conquered during the first half of the Fourth Succession War. Ridzik returned to Elgin, the new capital of the Tikonov Free Republic, on the 3rd of March 3029 and swiftly began implementing a new government consisting of family members, friends and other appointees loyal to himself, purging dissident elements on the various Republic worlds and taking the opportunity to settle old scores. Sheratan was one of the systems incorporated into the Republic.
After the Fourth Succession War the Capellan secret police established a number of terrorist groups on Sheratan and supplied them with funding, leading to a protracted terrorist campaign across the planet. The primary defensive force on Sheratan was a command known as the Sheratan Knights, a regiment of conventional forces who were ferociously loyal to the Federated Commonwealth. Heavily involved in attempting to stop the outbreaks of terrorism, the Knights ended up receiving extensive practical experience of dealing with guerrilla warfare.
Sheratan had relatively few large cities, and when the Free Worlds League and Capellan Confederation launched Operation GUERRERO the Chancellor ordered the terrorist groups on Sheratan into action, leading to bombings and mass shootings in Sheratan's cities. The Sheratan Knights went into action against the terrorist again, and managed to destroy a number of cells, but the wild forests and jungles that covered much of Sheratan made it impossible to stamp all of the terrorist groups out.
Life became significantly worse for the population when a battalion of mercenaries hired by the Free Worlds League landed on Sheratan. The mercenaries in question were the Fist of Mokal, and had arrived to support the Capellan nationalists; quickly seizing Gellen's Heights, the capital city, the Fist declared Sheratan a Capellan holding once more. Colonel Toby Knight of the Sheratan Knights had the furious Knights converge on Gellen's Heights and launched an aggressive hit-and-run attack against the Fist that destroyed several BattleMechs. The Commanding Officer of the Fist, Major William Jeffreys, was caught out by the ferocity and success of the Knight's attack, and ordered two companies of his troops to hunt down the Knights in Sheratan's forests, leaving the third company to secure the militia fortress in the city.
Aided by the Capellan-aligned terrorist groups, the Fist managed to track down and destroy one of the Knights' three battalions, but the Knights responded by setting the forest on fire, trapping the Fist's troops. Faced with a burning maelstrom, Jeffreys ordered his troops to charge through the flames, but only a single company of 'Mechs survived; the company still in Gellen Heights responded to news of the attack by slaughtering thousands of civilians. It wasn't long before word of the Fist's brutal actions led to their contract being voided, but before leaving Sheratan the Fist started several major fires of their own.
With vast areas of Sheratan on fire, the planetary government was unable to keep control of the situation and collapsed, leading to a leadership vacuum, which various local factions attempted to fill. Resources that could've been spent fighting the fires ended up being consumed in small-scale warfare between competing factions led by members of the local aristocracy or other charismatic figures, and soon there was so much smoke in the atmosphere that Sheratan's days became hazy and the nights particularly dark. The Knights were able to retain control of Gellen's Heights and a few square kilometers of territory around the city, but not much more; without support from the Fist of Mokal, the influence of the Capellan nationalist forces was also heavily reduced, leaving the planet in flux.
After the formation of the Chaos March, Atticks Enterprises hired several mercenaries to secure the foodstuffs stored on Sheratan at the Hollingsworth Agrifoods warehouse in Daggaknott city. Atticks had been taken over by a pirate group known as Death's Holiday, who had found the properties formerly owned by the Shen family of Acamar abandoned after the family was wiped out and assumed control. The pirates operated under the pretense that the Hollingsworth Agrifoods stores were Atticks Enterprises property to be reclaimed, in an effort to avoid tangling with the major influences in the region such as Wolf's Dragoons, who took a dim view on piracy of any kind. Daggaknott was home to various civilian factions competing for control, and due to the upheaval on Sheratan the board of Directors of Hollingsworth Agrifoods had hired a mixed conventional forces company to secure their compound, who clashed with the hirelings deployed by Death's Holiday.
In 3070 Sheratan was garrisoned by Grim Determination. The Word of Blake hired several mercenary units to land on Sheratan and drive the Determination off the world. (The Word agents who hired the units claimed to be from the Federated Suns). The Determination surrendered when they were informed that the contract called for the destruction of their force. Many of the soldiers from Grim Determination later joined Cumberland's Missiliers.
Sheratan was used as a baseworld by the Fifth Division. In 3070 the world was raided by the Thirteenth Stalking Horse and Wild Geese mercenary commands. They inflicted serious damage on the Fifth Division, which was on Sheratan to recover. After this raid and the removal of Grim Determination, the Fifth Division staged a military coup and took control of the world. Precentor Garin Latronis conscripted civilians into "volunteer engineering groups" to repair infrastructure and fortifications on the planet. By the end of 3070 the Precentor had created work camps all over the world and deposed the planetary government, establishing himself as a despotic ruler. Labor strikes were put down with lethal force, and a peaceful protest of 100,000 citizens turned into a massacre.
In 3073, the Opacus Venatori arrived on Sheratan. They removed Precentor Latronis from power (by killing him) and punished those Word of Blake militia members who had engaged in crimes against humanity. Their job done, they left the world in the hands of the native Sheratanians, who quickly reestablished a junta and tried to get back to normal. They remained in power until the Coalition arrived in 3079. In July 3079 the Sheratan Protectorate Militia was defending Sheratan along stragglers of Fifth Division. They engaged elements from the Com Guard Third Army. The Militia surrendered after a token fight. Devlin Stone promised that those people guilty of crimes against their fellows would be tried.
The Dark Age
On the 16th of December 3132 fighting broke out on Sheratan between forces from the Republic Armed Forces and forces from the local Clan Wolf enclave. The call to arms issued by Kal Radick in June had unnerved the leadership within the Republic, and led to a number of Clan Wolf enclaves within the Republic's borders receiving visits from Knights, checking to see if the Wolves were continuing to remain loyal. The fighting in December was between the Malenky Katyusha Clan Wolf enclave located outside Gellen's Heights, the planetary capital, and a force from IV Principes that had been dispatched under the overall command of a Knight-Errant. At this point, Radick was still trying to create the impression that the Steel Wolves were a new Clan, and the defeat on Sheratan at the hands of IV Princepes was a high-profile setback for him.
In mid-3134 Wiremu Telosa, the leader of the Chosen - an offshoot faction of the One Star Faith - attempted to merge his followers with the Clan Wolf enclave on Sheratan. The Chosen's beliefs were a mash of syncretic mysticism and articles borrowed from Clan culture - or at least, the Chosen's interpretation of Clan cluture - and the attempt was a disaster.
Late in 3135, prior to the Fortress Republic protocols being enacted, Tara Campbell arrived on Sheratan to secure a hidden armaments depot from anti-Republic forces. Campbell then assembled a ragtag force from the remaining loyalists there, including individual soldiers who had flocked to her banner rather than abandon Republic worlds outside the Wall. Paladin Ariana Zou later met with Campbell and aided her in withdrawing the arms cache and her force to the Republic Remnant.  At some point afterwards Sheratan fell to the Capellan Confederation.
- Daggaknot: a city and the location of Hollingsworth Agrifoods.
- Gellen's Heights: Capital city.
- The Republic Spire: the seat of government in 3135.
- Jaynesville: a city.
- Pittston: one of the planet's cities.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 87, "World Profile"
- Chaos March, p. 46, "Sheratan"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103, "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation - ] Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation After Age of War - ] Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (sourcebook), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. vii, "Capellan Confederation Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16-17, "Tikonov Free Republic"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16, "Tikonov Commonality (Map)"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 94, "End Of The War"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of  -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor/Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii , "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 12, "Map of the Inner Sphere - 3130"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 10 "Prefecture IV"
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 46
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 26
- The Star League, p. 16, "Terra's Errant Flock"
- Chaos March (sourcebook), p. 26
- Chaos March, p. 94, "Contract IND 58900-002-3"
- Total Chaos, p. 79
- Total Chaos, p. 95
- Total Chaos, p. 125
- Total Chaos, p. 234, "HERE COMES THE CAVALRY"
- Total Chaos, p. 126
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 10, "Dark Age Timeline"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 6, "Important Military Actions of Late 3132"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 18, "Steel Wolves"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 22, "Other Groups"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 16, "Raising of the Walls"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 86, Tara Campbell profile
- Mercenaries Supplemental , p. 66, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Total Chaos, pp. 95 "GRIM DEATH"
- "Chaos March", p. 26
- Duties and Obligations
- Dark Age: 3135 PDA Journals, p.150 "07 February 3135"
- Dark Age: 3135 PDA Journals, p.145 "21 January 3135"
- Chaos March (sourcebook)
- Dark Age: 3135 PDA Journals
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Duties and Obligations (short story)
- Era Digest: Dark Age
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Fortress
- The Star League
- Total Chaos