- This article is about the star system. For other uses, see Altair (disambiguation).
Altair nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||8.836 : 13.754[e]|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
The Altair system is home to five planets, of which at least one - Altair V - is inhabited, and as of 3151 was located in the Draconis Combine.
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Altair V
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 4.2 Planetary Rulers
- 4.3 Military Deployment
- 4.4 Geography
- 4.5 Planetary Locations
- 4.6 Industrial Centers
- 4.7 Image gallery
- 4.8 Map Gallery
- 4.9 Nearby Systems
- 4.10 References
- 4.11 Bibliography
The Altair system has a class F7III Star that is known for producing an unusual amount of surface activity. These solar storms and flares leave Altair V without communications for long periods of time, and so it is unsurprising that the Altair system has been subjected to numerous raids throughout its history. During the thirty-first century Altair had working recharge stations at both the nadir and zenith jump points.
The Altair system was settled during the First Exodus from Terra and was one of the systems abandoned by the Terran Alliance following the Demarcation Declaration.
- 2239 - Terran Alliance
- 2271 - Inhabited world
- 2311 - Alliance of Galedon
- 2319 - Draconis Combine
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony
- 2771 - Amaris Empire
- 2774 - Amaris Empire
- 2822 - Draconis Combine
- 2864 - Draconis Combine
- 3025 - Draconis Combine
- 3029 - Contested (Draconis Combine / Lyran Commonwealth) (June - December)
- 3030 - Draconis Combine
- 3040 - Draconis Combine
- 3050 - Draconis Combine
- 3052 - Draconis Combine
- 3057 - Draconis Combine
- 3058 - Draconis Combine
- 3063 - Draconis Combine
- 3067 - Draconis Combine
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from June)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3150 - Draconis Combine (from March)
- 3151 - Draconis Combine
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3130|
|Ruler||Muirvaid Cooke, Duke of Altair (3025)|
Tyrona Cooke, Governor (3130)
Oscar Martinez, Legate (3130)
|HPG (Representative)||A (Precentor Elba Fuentes)|
Altair V - commonly referred to simply as Altair - is the fifth planet in the five-planet Altair system. Altair has a single moon named Olgar and is home to a number of significant industrial concerns.
Altair was one of the worlds abandoned by the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2240. When Director Shiro Kurita of the Alliance of Galedon conducted a year-long tour of worlds near the Alliance in 2309-2310, he included both independent worlds such as Altair and worlds controlling small states. Director Kurita brought with him evidence purporting to show that one or more of the small states nearby had designs on conquering Altair, and offered to mediate between Altair and its opponents. He also offered to protect Altair by allowing Altair to join the Alliance, thereby allying itself with a stronger power.
Altair accepted this proposal, not realizing that Director Kurita had invented the evidence and deliberately played a number of small states and worlds off against each other to dramatically expand the size of the Alliance. Altair was responsible for Director Kurita's subterfuge coming to light, when in June 2311 a dispute broke out between the ruler of Altair and the ruler of the small state centered on nearby Dieron. Both Altair and Dieron called on their great ally for assistance in the dispute... and discovered that they were both aligned with Director Shiro Kurita and the Alliance of Galedon. Each planetary ruler discovered that they had been promised the same things, and word soon spread to the other planets seduced by Director Kurita's diplomatic campaign.
Altair's membership in the Alliance of Galedon, willing or not, would not last long; when Director-General James McKenna created the Terran Hegemony in 2316 he viewed Altair as still being a member of the Terran Alliance - and incorporated Altair into the Hegemony by military force when it resisted diplomatic efforts to embrace the new realm. Altair became one of the worlds within the Lone Star Province of the Hegemony.
First Succession War
The Izumi JumpShips shipyards in the Altair system were a casualty of the First Succession War, and the remains would be left derelict for centuries.
Fourth Succession War
Following the successes achieved by the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces during Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG, the major Lyran offensive launched in late 3028, a lull settled over the front while the LCAF consolidated its gains, rested and resupplied its troops and fought with counterattacking Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery units. General Jack Sphire, Margrave of the Ryde Theater of the Commonwealth, was responsible for devising a plan to break the deadlock on offensive operations against the combine in the Ryde area of operations. Ryde's plan, dubbed Operation HOLDUR, was designed to seize further systems by deploying all available troops, up to and including planetary militia forces. HOLDUR was risky, but Sphire hoped that by launching quick and forceful attacks using the BattleMech regiments available to him, the DCMS would be left with too little time to make further counterattacks. Archon Katrina Steiner approved the plan and mobilized additional 'Mech regiments to support HOLDUR, deploying regiments that had previously been held in reserve. When assigning these additional forces, the Archon dictated that these forces had to be used at the Terran end of the Ryde area, so that they could respond to any attacks originating from the Free Worlds League. This led Sphire to adjust his plan somewhat, but on the 1st of June 3029 Operation HOLDUR began, with the better part of a hundred assorted regiments deploying from the Federation of Skye to attack eight Combine systems.
For Sphire, Altair was the main prize he intended to capture with HOLDUR. The planet had a population vastly in excess of what would be normal for such an arid planet because of the vast mineral wealth there, and the DCMS had the elite Eighteenth Dieron Regulars on the planet to protect that wealth, backed up by many support units. Sphire deployed two complete formations - the elite Seventeenth Skye Rangers RCT and the Always Faithful mercenary unit to capture the planet, with the Archon personally overruling the objections from Duke Aldo Lestrade, who had managed to keep the Seventeenth, his house troops, out of the Fourth Succession War so far.
The initial landings on the 2nd of June went well, with the Lyran forces capturing the small towns of Smart Alice Springs and Basin Flats, minor settlements near small lakes, as part of their move towards the capital city. The march to Hehiro City began with some minor attacks, predominantly from persistent snipers and the Regulars' aerospace fighters, but the invaders initial confidence was quickly dented by Altair's arid environment. The LCAF units were unprepared for the sand on Altair, which was regularly blown into the components of the vehicles, making servicing and maintenance a nightmare, further complicated by ambushes from lances of Regulars using 'Mechs that could crouch down behind sand dunes. The Regulars had adapted to the climate on Altair, using special coolant, sun shields and air blowers to keep their equipment free of sand, and their attacks bypassed frontline units to attack at vulnerable supply vehicles.
As the Lyran forces approached Hehiro City the Regulars attacked more directly, attempting to prevent the city being encircled and also attempting to prevent the capture of Danford, a small town home to warehouses stocking precious minerals and metals as well as valuable records. While the Regulars were ultimately unsuccessful, it took the Lyran forces until September to finish encircling Hehiro City. The Lyran forces set in for a siege, constructing an airfield and setting up camps, and laid siege to the city until the Second Battalion of the Regulars attempted a breakout on the 8th of November. The breakout nearly succeeded, but the Second Battalion were destroyed by the Lyrans... although the distraction caused by the battle allowed the First and Third Battalions to steamroll over two companies of Lyran armor and vanish into the desert. For two months the Lyrans tried to catch the Regulars, only able to maintain contact via their aerospace forces and faced with constant harassing attacks from the Kuritan troops, who seemed impervious to the heat, sand or apparent lack of water.
With no realistic hope of securing the world or catching the remaining elements of the Eighteenth, and with the combat strength of Always Faithful and the Rangers steadily deteriorating, the LCAF made the decision to recall both regiments - an embarrassing outcome for Duke Lestrade, who had paid to have news reporters accompany the Seventeenth so that he could showcase their military prowess.
War of 3039
After the War of 3039 the Kurita Combine Munitions Corporation gained state funding from the Draconis Combine to repair and then reactivate the Star League era Izumi JumpShips shipyards; with the yards active again, KCMC began manufacturing a new JumpShip class, the Chimeisho, using the yards.
The Word of Blake attacked Altair between the 19th and 21st of June, with the Blakists using a combination of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons to complete their conquest quickly. The death toll on Altair is believed to be in the hundreds of millions (over 630 million people resided in Smart Alice Springs alone). On Altair at the time of the attack was the Second Battalion of the Third Dieron Regulars, who were shattered by the Blakist offensive.
Altair was then occupied by the Word of Blake and incorporated into the Word of Blake Protectorate. Despite the destruction of the Dieron Regulars in the initial attack, a Strider OmniMech painted blood red from the waist down was observed launching sporadic attacks against the Blakist garrison forces on the planet. Many of these attacks were launched from the irradiated ruins left behind by the initial Blakist attack, and the residual radiation prevented most garrison forces from either performing accurate sweeps of these locations or getting accurate sensor readings to track this mysterious 'Mech. While the identity of the 'Mech and pilot were unconfirmed, almost two dozen Blakist armored infantry and MechWarriors were killed by them. It is possible that the pilot of the mysterious Strider was Chu-i Meagan Fontaine, a noted Strider pilot from the Dieron Regulars, whose OmniMech - nicknamed "Darkblade" - matched the configuration of the Strider that harassed the Blakist forces.
Allied coalition forces operating on the Draconis Combine front of Operation SCOUR liberated Altair against only minor resistance in March 3078, a distinct contrast to the majority of the Protectorate worlds liberated by the coalition in February and March that year. The liberation of Altair along with a number of other worlds all within a single jump of Terra prompted questions from news agencies such as the Voice of the Dragon speculating on details of the likely drive for Terra and the resistance expected to be encountered there.
On the 13th of June 3078 an assassin believed to be operating under the auspices of the Word of Blake launched an attack on senior coalition figures at a reception organized for the leaders of the coalition task force responsible for liberating Altair. The exact target of the assassination attempt is unclear; while it was believed that Devlin Stone or possibly Duke Steiner were the intended targets, the assassin began firing when Colonel Marcel Webb of the Star Seeds mercenary unit, the acting security chief for the coalition, appeared with a special announcement. The assassin ultimately claimed two victims before escaping: he murdered to obtain clothing to attend the function, and killed Pedro, Stone's bodyguard, who deliberately blocked the line of fire.
Following the Jihad Altair was incorporated into the nascent Republic of the Sphere.
After the Blackout and the establishment of Fortress Republic Altair remained hidden from the wider Inner Sphere for over a decade. When the Wall was dropped in 3149, Altair served as a staging point for the RAF task force carrying out Operation ERUPTIO, and became a target for the Draconis Combine's counterstroke during Operation TIAMAT a year later. In late March 3150 a battalion from the Second Dieron Regulars overwhelmed Altair's conventional militia in an assault which left few Republic survivors.
- Governor: Tyrona Cooke
- Planetary Legate: Oscar Martinez
- Eighteenth Dieron Regulars
- Eighteenth Dieron Regulars
- Eighteenth Dieron Regulars
- Eighteenth Dieron Regulars
- Third Dieron Regulars (Second Battalion) (until 3068)
- - At this point in time, the unit was at 70% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- The northern continent on the planet is called Taipan.
Altair is a large, dry planet beneath a very unstable sun that suffers frequent solar storms and violent flares that shut down communications, sometimes for two months or more.
The planet's underground rivers are the reason that a few areas do support vegetation. Mining is a major industry, with five iron ore deposits and one titanium ore deposit presently being mined.
- Basin Flat
- Bonanza: City where the Long Life Company headquartered are located.
- Sargasso Forest Preserve
- Smart Alice Springs: A city leveled by the WoB weapons of mass destruction attack on 05/07/3068.
- Tai-Po City: a city in Taipan continent.
- Izumi JumpShips (destroyed during the First Succession War)
- Long Life Company
- Kurita Combine Munitions Corporation: The second wave of strikes from the WoB during the Jihad destroyed the main factory complexes of the company, setting fire to much of Basin Flat and the nearby Sargasso Forest Preserve.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 186: "Altair"
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 228: "Altair Planet Profile"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Shattered Fortress, p. 103: "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Star League, p. 15: "Terra's Errant Flock"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Handbook: House Marik, p. 16: "Free Worlds League Founding -  Map"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 24: "Conquest of resistance"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18: "Draconis Combine -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13: "Lyran Commonwealth Founding -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31: "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25: "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Historical: Reunification War, p. 159: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 37: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Field Manual: SLDF, p. xi: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138: "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43: "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36: "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 34: "Free Worlds League after First Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53: "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40: "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 38: "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), foldout: "Draconis Combine -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64: "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47: "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 42: "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 70: "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 73: "Ryde Theater"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66: "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56: "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 51: "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 71: "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- ↑ Historical: War of 3039, p. 133: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68: "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59: "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 76: "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 3052, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 3052, p. 23: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61: "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71: "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 3062, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 54: "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 78: "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero  Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 3062, p. 29: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74: "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70: "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Marik, p. 56: "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- ↑ Handbook: House Davion, p. 82: "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45: "The Jihad in Review"
- ↑ Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65: "Inner Sphere  Map"
- ↑ Field Report: DCMS, p. 21: "Draconis Combine Deployment Table "
- ↑ Field Report: Clans, p. 29: "Terran Corridor Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63: "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 127: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- ↑ Era Report: 3145, p. 11: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Era Report: 3145, p. 39: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 Shattered Fortress, p. 80: "The Silent Front"
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 60.2 Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 22: "Prefecture IX"
- ↑ 61.0 61.1 House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 23: "Political Maneuvers"
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 First Succession War, p. 125: "Shipbuilding Casualties of the First Succession War"
- ↑ 63.0 63.1 63.2 Technical Readout: 3057, pp. 102–103: "Chimeisho"
- ↑ 64.0 64.1 64.2 Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, pp. 100–101: "Chimeisho"
- ↑ NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 60: "Draconis Front (January 3029)"
- ↑ 66.0 66.1 66.2 66.3 NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, pp. 74–75: "Altair"
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 67.2 67.3 67.4 67.5 67.6 Blakist Forces Employ WMDs on Altair, Yorii
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 68.2 Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 126: "SR1-O Strider"
- ↑ Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58: "The Jihad in Review"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, pp. 69–70: "Fomalhaut, Epsilon Indi Liberated"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 70: "What Lies Ahead"
- ↑ Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 67: "Assassination Plot"
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 133: "Unit Deployment Table"
- ↑ 74.0 74.1 74.2 74.3 House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 186 "Altair"
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 Historical: War of 3039, p. 138: "Deployment Table"
- ↑ 20 Year Update, p. 40: "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 132: "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3085, p. 187: "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- ↑ Field Manual: 3145, p. 145: "Republic Armed Forces - Stone's Brigade"
- ↑ Handbook: House Kurita, p. 164: "Long Life Company"
- 20 Year Update
- BattleCorps Solaris Broadcasting Co., 05/07/3068: "Blakist Forces Employ WMDs on Altair, Yorii"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Clans
- Field Report: DCMS
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Fortress
- Technical Readout: 3057
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade