- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Demeter neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||91.497 : -69.589[e]|
|Recharge time||206 hours|
- 1 Demeter
- 2 Demeter III
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Planetary Locations
- 2.6 Industrial Centers
- 2.7 Nearby Systems
- 2.8 References
- 2.9 Bibliography
Located close to the Almach and Conwy systems, the Demeter system consists of a class M2V primary orbited by at least three planets, and during the thirty-first century a recharge station was in place at the nadir jump point.
The Demeter system was colonized early in the history of human interstellar colonization, and considered itself to be functionally independent prior to the end of the twenty-second century when the inhabitants of Demeter joined those of nearby Chesterton in forming a new polity, the Chesterton Trade League.
Planetary flag of Demeter
| Jump point
|Moons||2 (Desamone, Penndel)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||30°C (Warm-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Plant|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3067|
|Ruler||Governor Giovanni Estrella de la Sangre (3076)|
|Population|| 4,192,000,000 (3025)|
|Socio-Industrial Levels||B-B-B-A-B (3067)|
|HPG (Representative)|| B (3025) (Precentor Sirivar Chuk)|
Demeter III - more commonly referred to simply as Demeter - is the third planet in the Demeter system and has two moons named Desamone and Penndel.
Demeter was settled during the early exodus from Terra, and in 2193 became one of the two founding worlds of the Chesterton Trade League, alongside the nearby world of Chesterton. Demeter became a member of the Tikonov Union, a second mutual defense pact, when the Trade League joined the Union; then, in 2243, Demeter became a member of the Tikonov Grand Union when the Chesterton Trade League and the Tikonov Union merged into a single nation.
Demeter was subsequently conquered by the Federated Suns after the formation of the Capellan Confederation, which led to Demeter's premiere combat formation, the Arcadian Cuirassiers, joining the Federated Peacekeeping Forces. Both the Cuirassiers and the civilian population proved themselves loyal to the Federated Suns, prompting significant investment in the world; this investment led to Demeter developing into an industrial powerhouse.
Star League Era
Investment in Demeter continued throughout the Star League era; the most significant example of this was Lycomb-Davion IntroTech, a major military-industrial complex based on Demeter that was responsible for employing almost a quarter of the workforce, either directly or indirectly. When the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns began a major expansion following the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650 in 2752, the Demeter Planetary Uniformed Guard became a major source of trained military personnel for the Second Arcadian Cuirassiers, who reformed as a regiment in 2755.
In 2760 Demeter became the flashpoint for a Border War between the Capellan Confederation and the Federated Suns when a nuclear device was detonated in an industrial complex on the planet; the device demolished the plant and killed hundreds, and as a result conflicts began on numerous border worlds as the AFFS and CCAF threw themselves at each other.
The Succession Wars
In 2795, following the appointment of Sandol Quinn as regent to Ilsa Liao, the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces launched an invasion of the Federated Suns intended to capture the politically-significant Chesterton system. Planned by Quinn, the operation was intended to take advantage of the AFFS' continuing focus on trying to resist the massive Draconis Combine invasion of the Federated Suns, which stood poised to capture New Avalon itself. The first worlds to be targeted were Caselton and Mirach; Quinn assigned mercenary commands to the invasions, units that had originally been Star League Defense Force commands, and the defending forces were in a brittle state thanks to the damage the Combine invasion had inflicted on supply lines and constant efforts to aid forces fighting on Combine-occupied or contested worlds. The result in both cases was a swift victory for the Confederation, with the mercenaries taking the worlds and then CCAF line regiments moving into secure them; by August the invasion forces were ready to launch fresh attacks. The second wave of attacks targeted Demeter and Farwell; the Fourth Tau Ceti Rangers were assigned to attack Demeter, fresh from battles in the first wave of attacks, and reinforced by the Ariana Grenadiers. The Demeter Planetary Uniformed Guard managed to hold out until December 2795 before being wiped out completely; the battles waged outside Pattersville that destroyed the Uniformed Guard also damaged the Lycomb-Davion IntroTech facilities. The Lycomb-Davion IntroTech facilities on Demeter had been a particular target, as the CCAF hoped to deny the AFFS supplies of war materiel such as the Stuka AeroSpace Fighter. The manufacturing lines on Demeter were destroyed, but the Capellans were ultimately unsuccessful in destroying the company because Lycomb-Davion IntroTech had already been constructing a second production facility on New Avalon, with the second plant well on the way to completion.
The AFFS returned to Demeter in 2809, when Paul Davion deployed the Third and Fifth Crucis Lancers in a counter-offensive against the CCAF in the region around Chesterton. The battle for Demeter stretched on into 2810, but the Federated Suns managed to retain control of the system after the First Succession War.
Demeter was one of many worlds to be occupied by the Word of Blake during the Jihad after the local government acquiesced to the Word on the 25th of April 3068, allowing Demeter to be incorporated into the Word of Blake Protectorate. In early January 3077 the Planetary Governor, Giovanni Estrella de la Sangre, vanished from public view. De la Sangre was considered to be an example of the most convenient kind of cooperation with the Word of Blake, and official statements that he was indisposed with something akin to the flu were met with skepticism in some quarters. De la Sangre's continuing absence was marked by short-trading of shares in Vicore Industries due to de la Sangre's known major role in the company as well as increased military exercises on the part of the Protectorate Militia. As de la Sangre continued to remain out of sight, the rumors increased in scope, ranging from the possibility that de la Sangre was being blackmailed to speculation that he had been been abducted by a foreign power.
The Federated Suns was finally able to launch an attempt to liberate Demeter on the 1st of February 3077 as a part of Operation SCOUR, the allied coalition assault on the Protectorate. Unfortunately for the coalition, the campaign for Demeter - described as a "factory world" - quickly became a brutal, bogged-down quagmire. The allied coalition forces consisted of the Fifth Crucis Lancers, the Fifteenth Arcturan Guards and the Third Free Worlds Legionnaires, and found themselves facing not just the divisions of the Demeter Protectorate Militia but also two Level IIIs from the Ninth Militia Division, Measure of Trust and Call to the Faithful. The Blakists rebuffed the initial attack by the Fifth Crucis Lancers and the Fifteenth Arcturan Guards, driving the coalition forces back almost as far as their initial landing zones until an orbital drop by the Third Free Worlds Legionnaires saw the Blakists forced to fall back.
The Protectorate Militia forces retreated to New Demeter City, while the Ninth Division forces retreated into the Vicore Industries plant. The Fifth Crucis Lancers and the Fifteenth Arcturan Guards faced a brutal battle to clear New Demeter City, while the Thirrd Free Worlds Legionnaires encircled the Ninth Militia Division forces but were unable to dislodge them from the factory complex. The Ninth Militia Division forces were finally destroyed by orbital bombardment, which also leveled the Vicore Industries plant. A news story filed by Keevah Acee of the Demeter Free Press on the 17th of March 3077 alleged that the defense of New Demeter City had seen the local citizenry rising up against the coalition forces with whatever weapons they could find or improvise, and also alleged that the Federated Suns front task force had resorted to indiscriminately bombarding not just the Vicore Industries plant but also New Demeter City itself.
On the 30th of April 3078 it was revealed by Colonel Marcel Webb - Commanding Officer of the Star Seeds mercenary unit and head of security for the allied coalition - in a news broadcast from Kittery that the reason for Governor de la Sangre's disappearance in 3077 was his capture by coalition forces. Following his arrest, de la Sangre had been providing the coalition with intelligence, and the news broadcast served to both announce that de la Sangre had been captured and that the coalition had filed criminal charges against him for a range of crimes including conspiracy to commit genocide, treason, illegal sale of restricted weapons and violation of public trust. The same news broadcast also announced the filing of charges by the allied coalition against the Word of Blake affiliated individuals known as The Master, Precentor Martial Cameron St. Jamais, Precentor Apollyon, Precentor Naval Gregory Zwick, Precentor Alexander Kernoff, Mary Durant and Parker Steele.
- 2193 - Chesterton Trade League 
- 2243 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2366 - Tikonov Grand Union 
- 2367 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2571 - Federated Suns  
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2764 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2795 - Federated Suns 
- 2796 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2809-2810 - Contested (Capellan Confederation/Federated Suns)
- 2811 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Suns 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3068 - Word of Blake Protectorate (from May)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Federated Suns 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
- Demeter Planetary Uniformed Guard (destroyed in December)
- Third Davion Guards RCT
- First New Ivaarsen Chasseurs
- Second New Ivaarsen Chasseurs
- Eridani Light Horse
- Measure of Trust III-beta
- Call to the Faithful III-delta
- - At this point in time the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers were deployed across Bell and Demeter. The 1st was at 90% of full strength, with 90% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
- - At this point in time, the unit was at 70% of full strength with a "B" equipment rating
- Lycomb-Davion IntroTech (destroyed during the First Succession War)
- Vicore Industries (destroyed in March 3077)
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|New Macao||54.6||New Rhodes III||54.9||Kawich||55.0||Schedar||55.1|
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 154, "Planet Guide"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 190, "Demeter"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 10, "The Other Shoe"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 12, "Timeline: Capellan Zone"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 50, "De La Sangre: Missing?"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 21, "The Tikonov Connection"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 11, "Arcadian Cuirassiers"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 24, "Persuasive Force"
- First Succession War, p. 81, "Quinn's War: The Confederation-Suns Front"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 152, "Lycomb-Davion IntroTech"
- First Succession War, p. 93, "Far Enough: The Confederation-Suns Front"
- First Succession War, p. 98, "The Davion Counter-Offensives"
- First Succession War, p. 98, "Federated Suns Counter-Offensives 2801-2818"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 36, "Tragedy On Demeter"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 82, "Charges Filed"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 13, "Timeline: Capellan Zone 2367"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation, p. 23, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), "Capellan Confederation Map - "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map "
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 21, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 28, "Terran Corridor Clans Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. Vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 11, "Arcadian Cuirassiers - Regimental Status"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 134, "Unit Deployment Table"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 13, "Operation RAT"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11, "Operation RAT"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 12, "Operation RAT"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 30, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 32, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental , p. 67, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 69, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 44, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Table - 3145"
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3145
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report 2765: Capellan Confederation
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report: CCAF
- Field Report: Clans
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Liao
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Shattered Sphere